HybridZ

everyone that has built a custom intake for the L6

turbobluestreak

Guys I'm getting ready to do some research on intakes with soldworks's flowworks I've tested mine with disappoint that I've got a vortex that forms after the throttle body and sucks the air back out my t/b under 25psi of inlet pressure. I also tested a stock plenum with a bad result but I added the 60mm t/b and the spacer and WOW its a good flow and distribution. I'm asking everyone that has a custom intake for the L6 to send me dimensions of their intake and wall thickness and what t/b they are using and how it is orientated. I'll be conducting flow data on the plenums, runners and if anyone has one the ram pipes. Then I'll send each member’s flow data back in an avi movie for the trajectories and maybe some data sheet of the pressure drop and amount of flow and if the member is ok with sharing the results will be posted in this thread for everyone to use.

Please PM me with your intake dimensions.

tbs

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just uploaded some avi files of some flow trajectories and cut plots.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8730&cat=509

stock intake flow trajectories

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8731&cat=509

my intake flow trajectories

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8732&cat=509

my intake vector cut plot 1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8733&cat=509

my intake vector cut plot 2

tbs

• Administrators
Guys I'm getting ready to do some research on intakes with soldworks's flowworks I've tested mine with disappoint that I've got a vortex that forms after the throttle body and sucks the air back out my t/b under 25psi of inlet pressure.

TBS,

The videos are very interesting... thanks for sharing. I am assuming you're modeling this as though all 6 valves are open and flowing continuously? If so, how much impact do you think there would be with the valves opening/closing (individually), causing there own reversion?

Thanks again.

• Administrators
I'm sure I can do something to figure that out for now I'm still learning about cfds

What are cfds?

If its not too much trouble, I'd be interested in seeing a video of one port open at a time. Is it reasonable to 'cap' 5 runners? It seems this would be a better reflection of reality.

Thanks.

• Administrators
Would it really be necessary to cap them?

I'm wondering that if at WOT at a high rpm if there would really be a significant difference cause by the other valves being closed becaused they'd be closed for such a short time.

(just thinking outloud)

Mario

Mario,

I think even capping them would fall short of whats really happening. Keep in mind, every time a valve closes, it sends a pressure wave back up the runner. Theres only one valve open at any given time, so the 5 backwaves could have significant influence on whats happening in the plenum.

I think your missing the high point of whats being analized in the videos. problems like a vortex or un equil plenum filling can be seen and corrected. Again the turbulent flow is not ideal for getting air in we need laminor flow and I know some turblence is good to keep the fuel mixed. This thread was my hope to help other L6 guys by analyzing there intakes and helping to correct any flow issues.

tbsd

• Administrators
I think your missing the high point of whats being analized in the videos. problems like a vortex or un equil plenum filling can be seen and corrected.

I can only assume you're addressing me. I agree that you have an issue that needs resolution, but I also think its a terribly small representation of the big picture. I don't believe you can say that you have laminar flow or a propensity towards equal cylinder filling when your test's only show the static picture... too many other influences. No doubt, its a starting point and I appluad your efforts. However, once you show static flow to be acceptable... your work has only just begun. Of course, this is just my opinion... I could be wrong :-)