HybridZ

Thus it begins, a 280z project

HoustonZ

Guest tomindallas

Cold -

If you're serious about a V8 swap I have a nicely seasoned 4 bolt main block machined and ready to drop in with a new crank, rods and pistons. You'll need to put it all together and add heads, etc. It's located down south of you in Wadsworth, Texas and if you can find it you can have it (only for Cold since I'll be buying the car back in a few years anyway).

I started working on that motor for a '57 Willy's Wagon in 1995 when I was in California and never finished it. I think it's still crated from when I moved to Texas in 1998 - I had to store it at my friends place due to lack of space (you've seen the garage).

Call me for the contact information to see if you can find it...

Tom

Thanks for the offer Tom. I'm still debating whether to turbo this L28 I have, or go with the V8. Someone from this board just pm'ed me with an offer to take a drive in his Turbo 280z. Apparently some people don't like the idea of me swapping engines :wink:

I'm in San Antonio until Sunday. Hopefully while I'm here I can go by Sparky's to pick up a 2.5" exhaust. The last few days I've been driving it around the neighborhood on open headers. The neighbors probably hate me:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

My borrowed toy :D

DSC_6651.jpg

Today I had the chance to do some work on the rear end. I've depressurized the stock bumper mounts and moved them 3 inches closer to the frame. This makes the stock bumper actually look half decent, so I'm keeping it until those 240z bumpers become affordable. After taking the tow hooks off, it was time to play around with the welder. Sure looks a lot better with all those weird dents and holes gone.

P5070058.jpg

Looks like a blown headgasket!!!!!

P5070051.jpg

Just kidding. That is Seafoam doing it's thing. I was really surprised how much better it seems to be idling and reving. Unfortunately I can't take it out on the road for a seat of the pants test. Too many pieces off the car right now...

DSC_6641.jpg

Guest tomindallas

What's that crap on top of my welder? :burnout:I should weld a big cone on top of it before I loan it out next time.

It looks like you've gotten the hatch to fit up nicely, and the hood looks good too.

What price are you finding for the 240 bumpers? I bought and sold a set for $100 for the pair not too many years ago...are they much more now?

Did you fill in the door bumper holes and pillar vents with bondo before you got the welder? If so, you going back to fix that with the welder?

Hahaha, maybe I should weld the cone on myself :lol:

I finally did learn how to fill those holes with the MIG while not managing to burn through or warp the panel. All the holes have now been filled properly, so you can sleep easy. Here is the picture I was going to email you. For some reason, my hosted domain went nuts, and took down all my accounts with it.

Who in Houston wants to come over and swap the rear glass on the hatch for me? I've never messed around with replacing glass before, and it'll most likely be broken if I try :-D There are Z parts/lunch/green paper bills for trade, any takers?

DSC_6737_thumb.jpg

DSC_6745_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My awesome boss at the cnc machine shop gave me a christmas bonus. This means more fun stuff for the Z! I've ordered a front air dam and beautiful condition 240z bumper from ebay. Hopefully those will arrive this week.

I've given myself a deadline of January 7th for completing all the paint. At the moment I'm about 20% done with all my blocking. Looks like a lot of late nights are in my future....