HybridZ

Thus it begins, a 280z project

HoustonZ

Let the madness begin...

3 months ago I found out that a good friend of mine in Dallas was selling a 280z. I didn't think too much of it at the time because I had my heart set on a RX7 (don't flame:twisted:). However after a visit in person, I was absolutely sold on the Z. 2 months go by as we work out the details of payment and transportation. Eventually we decide that I'll fly up and we'll tow it back. This is due to the fact that I'm 17 and do not have my license.....

So I finally get it back to Houston, along with the TRUCKLOAD of spare parts that he had for it. There is literally a whole new butterscotch interior, along with seconds for an incredible number of engine parts. Who needs 3 complete extra sets of gauges, or 4 steering wheels? Anyway, I managed to stuff all that stuff into one side of my parents garage. Once I actually get the Z in the garage it was time to strip it down. The dash was the first thing to be removed. It had some massive cracks in it, as most of them do. The goal this week is to get it fiberglassed and repainted. Any tips on what I should use for paint?http://forums.hybridz.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1123&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1155866120

The engine itself is in good running order except for a few minor details. The intake manifold seal needs replacing. Since I've never taken apart an engine before, this will be an adventure. I've been studying the manual and asking Tom, the previous owner, lots of questions. Any advice from you guys before I attempt this?

More to come soon...

P2050044_thumb.JPG

P2050042_thumb.JPG

P2050035_thumb.JPG

P2140032_thumb.JPG

Did you really like that "How to Restore Your Datsun" book?

I have it' date=' but don't know why I paid someone money for stating the obvious. There is really no useful information in that book.[/quote']

Actually, it came with the car. I didn't know anything about Datsuns when I bought my 280 so it was helpful at first on a few things. Mostly now I just use it for the pictures. When I can't seem to get my head around something, like under the dash I grab the book and see what it's supposed to look like. If it still doesn't work, I come on HZ and search for a while.

Good news, it actually cranked back up! The seal made a world of difference, the old one must have been leaking everywhere. On to the carpet and painting the dashboard!

I've got it in my mind that a bedliner would look decent on the dash. I've seen some pics of blueovalz's homeade dash coated in Autozone bedliner and it looked great. What I'm uncertain about is how it will look on the bondo'd stocker. There really are too many imperfections for a flat black paint, but the thicker consistency of the bedliner should solve that nicely.

Did you really like that "How to Restore Your Datsun" book?

I have it' date=' but don't know why I paid someone money for stating the obvious. There is really no useful information in that book.[/quote']

I really enjoyed the book and thought it was good for restoration purposes. also, I found he had some good hints in there. All in all I thought I had my money's worth. I suppose it's from where a person is coming from in his/her build/restoration experience.

1931128022.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62227234_.jpg

Davy

How much smoking is normal after a manifold seal replacement? I got home from work today and ran it for about 5 minutes. I know I spilled some coolant while replacing the thermostat housing gasket, but that should burn off quickly. There is no smoke from the engine compartment, but there is a lot coming from the exhaust. It is grey to almost white, with a faint smell of toasted coolant. What I can't figure out is why it keeps coming from the tailpipe, how is it getting there?