HybridZ

Thus it begins, a 280z project

HoustonZ

I promise, I'll have something really really interesting to show on Monday. How well this idea will turn out, I have no idea....

Wow, you didn't disappoint either! The dash looks great! Strange idea turns out to be one that absolutely rocks; go figure. I think you got your money's worth, friend! :2thumbs:

Davy

The glare was bad the first day, but as time goes by it's loosing it's sheen. I didn't get a chance to weigh it, but I would say it's about 4lb-5lb heavier.

Today was the first time I actually got to drive the car! It was also the first time I had ever attempted to drive a stick. Despite being yelled at by my dad, I think it went quite well. Also importantly, the engine seems to be running great. From a couple missed shifts, I found that it revs quite nicely to 6k :D

P3030107_thumb.JPG

P3030113_thumb.JPG

P3030110_thumb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So between school, the cnc projects, and work I haven't had much time to work on the Z. The little that I have done is mostly on the interior, installing new panels and such. Tom gave me almost a whole new 2nd interior in perfect condition. Now if only the outside was as good..... I'm stuck on what color to paint it. Of course it would be easiest to go with the existing copper/orange color. I'm tempted to go with a dark red or deep blue though. Problem is, I have the butterscotch interior which does not match either of those well. What's a guy to do?

Over the next month, I'm hoping to buy a Mercedes supercharger off ebay and work on a custom intake. One of the big points is that electromagnetic clutch, which will allow me to disengage the whole system at the flick of a switch.

Yeah I did my dash about a year and a half ago w/herculiner. Looks almost just like yours and it's holding up great. I had patched / repainted it before but it never held up for a long period of time. The herc. is strong/flexible enough that it should last basicly forever.. And you can't beat the price.. If anybody else dose this.. Dont use the cheap duplicolor or other bedliner. The Herc is good and cheap at about $20 quart. I put on 3 thick coats and still have over half left. You can reduce the glare by controling the xylene cut or just brushing it when it's almost cured.

It's finally insured, so I can take it beyound the street in front of my house! Of course I'm already wanting more power. Things on my shipping list.

Garrett T3/T4 Turbocharger (?)

Shaved No EGR Intake Manifold from a ZX

60mm Throttle Body

280zx turbo exhaust manifold

360cc injectors

Billet fuel injector rail

2.5" mandrel bent exhaust

Undecided brand of intercooler

Megasquirt

I'm still looking for a good shop in Houston for my paint.

I've decided to paint it myself, time to read every single word on the net about garage painting...

You know, the butterscotch interior is in such good shape that I hope you keep it. The interior WILL match the blue and the red you spoke of IMO, but you can always put a color chip next to the interior to get a feel for it. I think you'll be fine though. Painting the car the original color is usually the wisest thing to do because you can leave all the jams and interior alone, but that is your choice.

I love the supercharger idea with the magnetic clutch---that's just wild. I hope you can get that to work out in the car! You might get magazine coverage for that. Take a lot of notes and high quality pictures.

As many of our painting experts have said: prep is key to a good paint job. Use their advice and it'll go a long way to helping you be successful in this undertaking.

Davy

• Like 1

Thanks Davy. I definitely plan on keeping the butterscotch interior. I don't think I'll find brand new pieces like I have again in this lifetime, so it would be a sin to change it just for paint color.

I am tempted by the ease of a turbo, but the supercharger idea still appears to me. The manifold will be the trickiest part.

I've managed to con a few friends into helping with the prep. Orbital sanders for everyone! The car is relatively rust free, except for the one spot under the battery. I'm also putting on a new 240z hood, which will eliminate a little bit of work.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tomindallas

Ack! My Car!!

Seriously, now's the time to think about replacing the valence by the windshield and adding an air dam, etc. The valence was pretty nasty with too much paint if I recall.

I can't wait to buy it back when you're all done :-)

Tom in Dallas

Got a chance to see this car in person tonight. The dash is AWESOME!! Definately going that way with my dash. His bodywork is coming along great, just enough filler to do the job. Going to be a SWEET ride when he's finished..... NOW, about that V8 swap...lol.