HybridZ

71 240 carb or FI L28

karl

I have a complete FI engine and all acc. from an 83zx. I want a reliable daily driver with more power than my L24. I've installed the 5speed and r200 rear but am unsure of the complicated looking FI L28. What are the pros and cons of using my carbs vs getting the FI in working condition. I will be able to do all the work myself. The car really needs more power without going V8 or turbo, tired of getting spanked by little toyotas. Thanks for any info.

If your goal is to make more power to keep from getting spanked, it's not going to happen with bolting on a stock efi or any other easy bolt ons. If you don't want to go turbo I would just keep the carbs as it's easy and the stock efi manifold isn't the best for power. Use the L28.

Clifton is right. That stock EFI blows chunks. You can make a lot of power with the SU's, more with triples, but a turbo and all the necessary engine management to go with it would really be a big power increase. If you don't want all the hassle of a high strung 6 cylinder, almost any V8 would be a huge step up, and they don't require turbo lag to make big hp numbers.

If you want to use what you have, install the L28 in the 240 and use the carbs.

Thank you for the info. Well things just got a little more complicated. I called an old military friend who's into supras, he has an 1989 turbo supra with 50,000 original miles in his garage thats been crashed. He said I can have the motor,5speed,ecu and anything I need off the car for $300.00 bucks. From what I remember it is a very big engine. The fab work I can do it's the electrics were I see problems, also front spring rates for the weight diff. I'll go coil over in that dept. I'll be retiring in 5 months from the mil. and that's when I'll start the project. Any pre preparation info or where to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Actually the 7M motor is a few inches shorter than the L6's. They weigh a few pounds more but not enough to worry about, the extra weight will be further back too. Using the stock EFI is pretty easy. If you do do it. PM me I can send you links, pics, and give tips.