HybridZ

280zx questions...

cpt jack

Hi all i just bought a 280zx and it has a blown tranny.. i picked it up for 600$ the motor starts right up every time, it passed smog, the service light works lol, no leaking T-tops, the digi display works, everything, it comes with a nismo cone intake and front and rear tokicko Stuts and spings... but i was wondering what is SU's? and are trannys hard to replace in z's from what i can see it looks very simple but i have been fooled with my friends 944 and the 911 as well... but any help would be great... and is there a way to change a fuel injected motot in to Carbed? and is it easy and cheap?..... and are there any trix or stupid things that i can do to my car to get a little mote power?

Not a big job I replaced an auto tranny in my 81 turbo with a five speed out of a junker. Take maybe a 6-8 hour day first time around unless you are a very good mechanic. What the trick is to some extent depends on if you can get a Borg T-5 tranny to replace or take to a tranny place and rebuild. Guy quoted me around $400 if I brought the unit intothe shop. You definitely need a tranny jack (or a helper with arms the size of my leg). Harbor Freight has a good one for under a hundred. You need to clear the exhaust piping out of the way plus some tin under the rig. The exhaust piping has a ground metal joint where the elbow comes out of the turbo held by three bolts. I took this off the 81 and an 83 and the joint was rusted solid. I had to remove from the turbo itself. This can be done but mighty tight in there. Take off the tin (heat shields) in the engine bay to get at the nuts. You can get at the bell housing nuts from underneath with about a three foot extensioin and an air ratchet (I think I used two 12" and a 6"). Demount starter and clutch slave. Probably need gaskets for the cat converter. While you are in there you might as well put in a new rear engine seal and clutch. Whether you machine the flywheel is a toss up unless it is really bad.

NA tranny pull out is even easier since exhaust easier to get out of the way. If you haunt the junk yards a NA five speed pretty easy to find. More power get a turbo. If you can find a five speed in a 2+2 at the junk place take the flywheel and clutch. The 2+2 clutch face is larger than coupe and you get a bigger clutch for free.

Yes you can put carbs on your 280zx... SU's as a matter of fact. SU's are a british carborator that was used on all kinds of british cars in the 60's and 70's. Nissan had Hitachi (a carborator maker) buy the licence from the british company that made SU's in order to make a Hitachi, Japanies, exact replica that was used on the 1970-73 240Z (they were also used on the datsun 1600, 2000 roadster). In 74 the 260Z got an F'd up verison of the SU that was all smoge limited. In 75 the 280Z's all got Bosh Jet-tronic FI. Since the head design of all the L28 engines from 1970-1983 is almost unchanged (on the out side that is, lets not talk about chamber design) the $hitty FI can be taken off and the awesome SU's from the 70's can be bolted right on.

This is a perfect set up...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-Early-1969-to-1970-Twin-SU-Carburetors_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33550QQihZ017QQitemZ270021751174QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This has every thing you will need for the swap including the heat shield (its very important, without it, the return springs don't have anything to hook onto)

There are other carborators that you can put on a Z engine, Webbers (tripples or dual carbs) or Makuni, and there are some setups where you can run a holly 650cfm carb (lame).

If you plan on going turbo then don't waste your time with carbs FI is the only way to go. And don't use the stock FI, go with an aftermarket system, something from the 21'st century.

I've found that this site as great as it is doesn't really specialize in Carb setups thats why I got to http://www.classiczcars.com/

they have a forum just for SU's

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions :burnout:

EFI makes both ponies and mileage. A properly tuned EFI system can get great gas mileage and still out perform a carb. It's not all about dumping fuel into the cylinders. It's about dumping the proper measurements of fuel, properly atomized with the correct amount of air for the cleanest combustion. Granted though, the stock EFI on a Z isn't all that adjustable or accurate, but it's worked for 205,000 miles on my 81ZX. She just pulled past a convoy this morning @ 100mph without even twitching. Old, but it works.