HybridZ

Test fit a few wheels today

Whew, FINALLY got my front suspension 99.9% done. The only thing not done is the brake hose to the caliper and I've just been too lazy to do that so far icon_smile.gif

So, today's "adventure" - test fit some wheels - interesting results IMO. The RX7 Tantrums are 17X7 with 225 45 tires on them. They fit the rear pretty well but I'd probably use a 1/4inch spacer just to get a little more room.

The Mustang wheels are 17X8 (pretty sure) and would need a pretty big spacer to fit out back. The backspacing on the wheels is pretty close to the same which was a surprise. The added width of the rim makes the difference it seems. Up front the Mustang wheel fit WELL but came pretty close to the caliper face - that's a function of the spoke design is all. I'd move it in about a half inch I think to get it inside the fender better.

At full lock both wheels hit the frame pretty solidly but neither hit the spring. Closest point was the adjustment collar - figures. However that may move when I get final ride height done setup. I've got a feeling I won't have much strut travel (sigh).

I'll be posting pics of all this on my WEB site tonight after I unwind some including pics of the measurements I took on each wheel - I didn't write them down. icon_smile.gif

What I need to figure out is how to get something like my RX7 wheel with a wider tire. 225's up front isn't too bad IMO, maybe a 235. Guess I need to see what sizes TSW Trophies come in. Spacers are no biggie and neither is having wheels up front that are a different size. I'd prefer all to be alike but that may not work out - we'll see.

Lastly, all of my observations apply to MY setup with MikeSCCA's brakes in front. The rear may apply to everyone else with a 240 as I've not changed the track but be careful using the front findings unless you've done something like I have. icon_rolleyes.gif

Here's a link to my site -> http://216.254.117.47 I'll put up pics as soon as I can but right now I'm pretty beat! They will be in the Photo Gallery section..

Update: Pics are up! I'm trying to figure backspacing now. The mustang wheels are +30mm according to AARIMS.COM so that helps. My measurements on that wheel put it at 38mm tho'. A 17X7 in front and a 17X8 in back look to be the plan. +40 in front with spacer, still figuring the rear oout. Might have to mount that Mustang wheel again!

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

The Tantrums look very mean on the Z. Maybe the RX7 can live w/o them!!! Hehe! Running a wider tire on the rear appeals to me. The only thing that scares me about it is the probability of having the front sidewall be wider (thicker?) than the rear! There is something that doesn't look right about it. I want as close of a match as possible.

I bought a copy of Import! magazine which has an article of a very clean orange Z (and 510) that sports some awesome wheels. Actually, the wheel ads were the only reason for buying it. I may do Cobra R wheels because they are so cheap, but it's not my preference. icon_sad.gif

BLKMGK, your car is soming along nicely. Hopefully we'll get some pics up in the Featured Car section when you're done.

About the side mirrors, the MSA ones look "OK" when I was at the Natl's--still need to send CD to Myron--it has pics of at least 3-5 different mirrors and mountings. WAIT before you bolt on a new set! The owner of a certain Z (I won't mention his name) would NOT tell me what he used! This was for the sake of exclusivity. icon_mad.gif I found it offensive. His mirrors are from either a genII RX7, Pontiac Grand AM, or some other car that features a triangular window frame mount. I WILL figure it out, and when I do I WILL post it for all to see...

David

Mike, as soon as I get the pictures back from the developers, I will get them to Myron so he can add and then post them for everyone to see. That way, you can download as many pics as you want! Sorry for stalling, but my wife was supposed to drop them off! icon_mad.gif

David

I'm still working out wheel widths and calculating things. Don't think that swapping the Tantrums off the RX7 hasn't occured to me already icon_biggrin.gif The previous owner used wheels that are too narrow for that car and the tires are only 225s! I would love to have bigger meats on that puppy but the TSW wheels just look so "right" that I can't resist them! I figure I'll need all the help I can get hooking up too so 225's on the Z wouldn't be much help.

Got some more parts today - will post about it in the appropriate threads. Going to be a busy week!

[ May 14, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Ordered my wheels and tires from Discount Tire last night. They showed "less than four" for the sizes I need but they had some in stock - I had hoped two of each.

Just got an E-mail from them. Seems they're "out of stock" and no longer available. They'd like to know if I'm willing to order a different wheel! icon_mad.gif !

This stinks. I've been eyeing those wheels for months and would've ordered them if I'd known what backspacing would work. Now that I know they aren't available, heck I had a hard time just finding a vendor that HAD TSW wheels (sigh). They DO have a wheel that looks pretty nice but the darned thing is $50 more per wheel AND the offsets are different.

atspl1.large.jpg

I'm NOT a happy camper right now. Kind of makes me wonder what I would've done if I'd had an accident and needed to replace one of the wheels! I may wind up with Cobra wheels after all but it won't have been my first choice... icon_confused.gif

Unfortunately, wheel styles are changing about as quickly as seasonal clothing styles nowadays. Tuff luck on the wheels because they look so good. Why don't you pick up a ricer magazine and look in there for some cool styles. AKT makes some nice ones that should work for our RWD applications. Do spacers bother you?

David

At this point I'm still looking around. I'm nearly settled on Cobra R rims - we can get them in offsets that are close to what we need. http://www.afswheels.com/mustang_wheels/index.asp

Doh, just looked. I THOUGHT they had them in two different offsets, and they do but only if you buy 9inch wide wheels! I'm pretty sure a 9inch isn't going to fit in back. Now my second choice may be going out the window. I thought they had +24mm and +36mm in the 8inch wheels - seems not. icon_mad.gif $695 is a good price though, their tire packages are too wide and expensive though.

I tried calling this place -> http://www.salesco.com/wheels/tsw/tsw_trophy_custom_wheels.htm Sort of helps if you answer the phone to take your customer's orders! They were about $20 some odd apiece cheaper than Discount too.

Speaking of Discount - I called them just to be sure. They were listed as out of stock in the computer and the sales guy called TSW for me to check. It's a wheel they no longer make so no chance they will get them in. Was nice of him to check for me at least.

I'd appreciate any ideas guys. TireRack is a joke for us since you have to input the car model etc. and they don't give backspace information. Discount I'm a little peeved with but mostly because I want someone to focus my aggravation on right now. This link -> http://www.discounttire.com/mega-bin/megajen?tem=san.w heelSizePrice.tem&size.value=17&wheel.value=5-114.3&wheel.value1=8 should give you all the 17X8 wheels Discount has, I'd be interested in other's thoughts on this please. I need about +23mm in back and +35mm up front I think w5X114.3 lugs. Spacers are NO big deal and I expect to have to run them no matter what. If there's another wheel shop out there I've not seen by all means point it out. Lastly, if someone else is shopping for wheels please don't take my measurements unless you've swapped to 300ZX hubs up front - this changes the track slightly. Even then I may be off but I think I'm close enough to space and will report back on final fit. My budget for wheels is flexible but I'd like to stay under $250 a corner, $199 is what the TSWs were and cheaper is always better if it looks good. icon_smile.gif

Sorry to ramble guys. I'm really in a baddepressed mood right now and very frustrated over this. icon_sad.gif This is a very important part of the project and I've just hit a wall! The ATS wheels I posted a pic of above might work but it's so hard not seeing a pic ON the car and they're not cheap either....

Current front runner -> konfiv.th.jpg Made for the Mustang is comes in either +24 or +38mm offsets. I think this is nearly perfect for my car! Plus it's cheaper. I've seen an ROH wheel that looks like it on a Mustang - UGLY! I'm presently making shots in Photoshop of various wheels to see what looks good...

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Welcome to my hell... Five months ago I was really struggling with what rim to buy. After seeing a new Ferrari coup tooling down the road today on I-95 south boung with thin spoked 5 stars and nice LARGE brakes, I'm convinced the Cobra R is my wheel... I may even upgrade my brakes to something much larger on the rear JUST to fill in the rear wheel spokes... Oh god, I'm entering full on poser mode!

Mike icon_eek.gif

a friend of mine put some new panasports and track tires on his z race car with willwood brakes and hit the track-guess what-wheels now look like crap.the brake dust when on race track is so hot it embeds itself in wheel finish.also those high tech street radials suck on a race track-the get hot and turn to grease.i gave up on those and run used tires on street and kumho tires on track.if you use the car on a road race track get some beater wheels and race tires.

Hrm it was pointed out to me today by a friend that import Carlisle will still be going on tomorrow... My experience has always been that Carlisle closes up pretty early on Sundays though and going up there would probably just make this decision worse icon_sad.gif Then again I might also see someone selling TSW Trophies (lol).

It's so much easier to see the wheels in person or on a car like your own and "know" that you're making a good decision. Part of my problem is that I've seen an ROH wheel that's similar and it's probably coloring my view. These sites that show wheels on cars really have a good idea. Most of the places don't have clear enough photos though and some of the ads in Sport Compact are black and white! I guess the biggest problem is that I thought this wasn't going to be an issue - I had already decided. I hate surprises like this and on projects like this one I plan, plan, plan, and then purchase when it comes ot parts. I got a rude shock when they told me I couldn't have what I'd counted on icon_sad.gif.

Ah well, the more I stare at that pic I posted the more it's growing on me. 5 spokes ARE nice and they really do show off the brakes. I've done the Photoshop deal with a bunch of wheels and the Cobra's are VERY nice Mike. Need some good pics of yours icon_smile.gif

P.S. Oh great, stock levels on Konig 5.0's aren't looking good either!

[ May 19, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Thurem

Hey

Emailed TSW to get a list of the available offsets they have in 4 on 4.5 and 5 on 4.5 .

If I get this info from them I will post it here.

Thure