HybridZ

e85?

nategdizzle

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone knew anything about setting up my z to run on e85..its 105 octane and makes my flex fuel ranger run like hell..i have my microtec lt8 and wb 02 but i dont know if the optimal a/f ratio would be different with e85 or if there are any other cautions besides the rubber seals not holding up..also i have a few small rust spots on my cylinder walls..i honed them back in may but never got the engine put back together..i used a scotchbirte pad to remove them but it still has some discoloration..i can run my finger over it and it feels smooth and isnt pitted..should i leave it or hone it again

thanks

nathan

It has less energy per gallon than regular gasoline so your MPG will go down. If it costs significantly less then that isn't a big issue. It does burn cooler, however, so if you can get enough extra fuel introduced to make up for the lower energy and get your A/F ratio right you should do well on it.

• 1 month later...

We just tuned an 82 280ZX turbo on E85. We just removed the old injectors and replaced them with 370cc injectors from a CA18DET and replaced all the fuel lines with Goodyear and Aeroquip hose and a walbro 255 fuel pump. Started up and ran great. You have to tune it using Lambda not A/F, just makes it a little easier. We tuned it for .78 lambda under WOT and 1 lambda for cruising and idle. Stioch for E85 is 9.7:1, so if you multiply your Lambda by 9.7 you can get your Airfuel ratio. So under WOT we were running 7.5:1 A/F. Best part, Running 18psi and a 55 shot of nitrous on the stock turbo, 299whp and 499ft lbs. We are running an TH350 auto trans and that does afect the torque a bit. We tuned it on 100 octane trick fuel and the best we got was 270whp and 449 ft lbs. This was also on a Mustang Dyno which typically reads about 15% lower than a dynojet. Good luck, and I will keep the board updated on any disolving gaskets or what not.