HybridZ

r230 vs vette irs c4

rdv88

Justin. Are you trying to say that with the blown motor in that Z, the STOCK rear diff held up to hard launches regularly?? Hmmm?

NO! Keyword: regularly.

OTOH, you have not said anything about the engine mods, tranny and torque converter. It will live if you are using an automatic, foot braking and avoiding excessive wheelspin and wheel hop. Even so, expect possible breakage if you have serious power.

I think it is misleading to just say the R200 will take it or that jnjracing does it, without some explanation. As said over and again, the R200 diff is not really the issue, it is the halfshafts and stub axles. My hat is off to jnjracing for what they have accomplished with the stock IRS but they have openly admitted they break a lot of rear end parts. Not sure if that typifies what the "R200" can take. If you can live with the breakage, then OK.

It's not the Caddy motor that will break things - it's the tires you run. If you have anything remotely stock in size the tires will just melt down and protect the drivetrain. If you modify the car to allow some oversize slicks where you can really hook it then you'll be taking the chance of breaking something. So far I've broken a universal in one half-shaft with my LS1 running on street tires - due to wheel hop - which the IRS is prone toward. If you're building a serious quater mile car I'd stick in a Ford 9" and know its good.

Which rear end would be easier to swap and better for a 500 caddy's tourqe? I know I really [/i']don't have to narrow the vette irs but i was just wondering which one would be better for my '74 260z.

Before answering that question and there's nothing easy about any swap, what condition is the 260Z in and is it in stock form now?? Before thinking about the rear end you better have the base car modified for torque. If you don't have the fab skills and equipment you better have the big billfold.

LARRY

I believe jnj recently upgraded to the 300zxt cv axle conversion from M & M because they got tired of stuff breaking. Time will tell how long this setup will work for them..I think they are trying to get into the 8's.

:icon52:

If you're planning on building a car that will mainly be used for drags, it may be best to just go for the 9" like Phantom suggested.