HybridZ

4 to 5 lug question

I'm in the process of re-drilling my rear stub axles for a 5-lug conversion and I have a question.

The rear stub axles on my 240Z have a formed sheet metal plate that is retained by the heads of the wheel studs after they are pressed in. Is there any reason to try and keep this piece when doing the 4 to 5 lug conversion? Its not obvious to me what it is for and I doubt I can redrill it anyways. What has everyone else done?

Thanks for the help.

I just redrilled my stub, then reclamped that piece in it's original location, marked out the metal that needed removal with a felt marker and gave it a quick nip with the die grinder...it's a basic shield for rear seals I assume like the front backing plate and inner lip that's often discarded on our cars and others after mods

I kept mine as well but it deformed some. It's actually tougher to drill than the HUB!

To drill it I used a vice grip to hold it against the hub and drilled away. I did NOT remove the stubs to do this BTW (shrug). Not sure it was a big deal and it could probably be cut away some - I ende dup flattening it some while I was at it but be careful as this is how one of mine deformed. I hear it rubbing a tiny bit and hope that it will clearance itself quickly...