HybridZ

GT3076r, gt3071r?

JustinOlson

One of the biggest advantages from a track car's perspective in the GT range is the high-nickel context exhaust housing. This stops the housing warping/expanding/going off. A mate needed a fresh housing every 2 meets on his old T4 but has run his GT35R for 3 seasons with no changes.

I would be careful about changing the housing to one made by someone else. I suppose you would need to justify the gains from having a split pulse housing (and manifold) against the potential for turbine housing problems (if its going to be raced).

Dave

Dave

I don't really see how that can be the case. The GT30 wheel is 60mm with a trim of 84 (making the exducer around 65mm), while the GT32 wheel is 64mm with a trim of 73 (making the exducer around 75mm). How can a bigger housing be used on a smaller wheel? Or maybe I've got the trim calculations mucked up.

Dave

They make great power and if the divided manifold is setup correctly, the turbo will spool 1000 rpms sooner vs a non divided manifold setup.

The highest powered stock block honda D16 is running one of these GT3071R divided turbos. Has some boost creep on the topend by the looks of it to me.

375whpepicstockd16.jpg

Right.

Believe it when I see it. (Honda guys that aren't bullshitters AND 1000rpm lower boost threshold).

Dave

I'm with you. I would believ 100 rpms.

Although not GT turbo, I run a .70 divided, alot of guys with the same motor run a .68 undivided. Are spool times are nearly identical. On my car, going from an O to P trim is only a 600 rpm difference.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm curious if any one is running or has run a gt30 in an l28. I'm trying to decide on a turbo for my "mean time" project and I think that a gt30 sounds pretty good. I have a brand new gt35 that I was going to run in my rb25 sitting at home but I think it's a tad too big for what I'm looking for.

I had a t3/t4 stage2 on my old l28 few years ago and that thing was all over the place. It put down about 320 to the rear at 18lbs. with all bolt ons. I'd like to have a similar set up, but with more power.

I just bought an '83 turbo from an old friend of mine with a t04e and some other goodies for a really good price, but from what I can remember it was really laggy. So, I thought that I can get rid of the '80s technology and move to something more advanced (gt series or similar).

Let me know what you guys think... Thanks....

IMO a GT30 is too small. I run a Precision Turbo PT 61, GT35R compressor wheel with a P trim hotside on an L28 now and wouldn't think of going smaller. The Garrett GT35R uses a smaller turbine side than I have so should spool even faster. A GT35R will also make more power than a GT30R just with the larger turbine wheel. If you want more power you need to go bigger. You can be in the efficiency range on the compressor side but kill your HP on the hot side.

so then, still on topic, but a little bit off, how would a GT3271 go?

Just picked one up for $50 in excellent condition, its going on a L28.

From what ive seen of the compressor maps, she should be pretty well sized?

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT32/GT3271_452203_1.htm

The stock T3 flows around 32lbs. I guess it would do well at lower boost. Garrett recommends it for 2.0-2.7l engines.