HybridZ

HybridZ Parts Index

rudypoochris

This idea may seem a little far fetched, but I think it would improve the HybridZ experience and help out those of us (especially me :D) who might not know as much/have access to as much information about certain Z cars.

What I am proposing is that HybridZ somehow hosts an index of car parts with pictures, descriptions, and all the useful bits about the items and the various years they were featured in. Any member should be able to submit parts to the site or add to a parts description/attributes. For instance if i were to search for say "Stub axle" then stub axles should show up, listed should be spline counts, bolt patterns, vehicle compatability, etc. It would be all up to us how detailed or undetailed to make it, but I think it could become a very useful tool. If I searched LSD there would be whatever LSD entries have been put into the system, what half shafts to use, what year cars they are featured in, what other cars gears can be swapped in, that sort of stuff. If I happened to know something more about that LSD I could then add it giving even more information.

The difficult bit is I don't know how to acctually make it since I know nothing about the HybridZ site software. I know it is alot of work and obviously not exactly easy, but I believe it could be a real tool. If it is feasible it would be really nice to have. Just a random idea....:icon6: (feedback appreciated)

EDIT: Just thought of this... Eventually we could even kick it up a notch by incorporating links to current classified ads as well as popular tech articals regarding the part. Just food for thought.

sort of lie a box of internet legos?

Iwas thinking of something like the Z engine calculator but for the car...like you could selectL24 as the engine, BW T-5 tranny, R160 rear end and what length driveshaft would have to be made and what would have to be done to mount the transmission,etc...we could start it as a database and people keep adding to it.

like this: http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

I think j mortensen is working on that kind of thing right now. PM him for some details about exactly what he's doing or going to be doing.

Yes, there will be something of that nature coming down the pike. It takes time to organize it due to the amount of information to sort through. Be patient, Grasshopper.

It will allow someone to go straight to the information/facts in a pointed manner. The forums, however, will remain largely the same.

Davy

No progress to report so far. I did get in contact with the guy who has offered to help Hybrid Z with this project, but that's as far as it has gone, even once it gets started its going to be a BIG project. Don't hold your breath is the point, so just post if you need info on something and can't find it through the search function.

• 1 year later...

Bump on this. I think it is a sweet idea (obviously otherwise I wouldn't have posted it...). Since my post back in 2006 though, I have come to use wikipedia.org A LOT. Anyone know if we could merely use the wikipedia software as an extension on Hybridz? It would make a parts index SOOOO much easier compared to what was available (or more importantly what I knew of, back then). With the excellent moderation of this site I think it would be easy to make a very accurate and useful database.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Apparently the software is completely free...

http://lifehacker.com/software/wikipedia/geek-to-live-set-up-your-personal-wikipedia-163707.php

Maybe it can simply be integrated on something like parts.hybridz.org and then we can get to writing articles for parts and such...? Obviously some rules and what not are going to have to be thought out prior (for instance, is it parts only or also how to's, etc)