HybridZ

Z won't let me boost...

Datsun_Mike

I just bought a donor car(83 ZXT) and everything was boost good until suddenly it won't let me anymore. As soon as you start hearing it spool... there would be a vacuum leak or fuel cutoff. This is my first turbo car so I don't really know much about it yet. On the boost gauge, it'll not let me go pass 0. As soon as it goes over just alittle, the ZXT chokes. help me please.

Standard boost on those cars won't show much over 0psi at full throttle. After I put a K&N filter on and ran the boost up I get around 3psi now. Didn't want to go any higher I just like blowing off the kids in the civics with big pipes and a fin. If you are still running stock intake trash it. I used a three inch exhaust elbow with a brace welded on to a convenient bolt and then bolted on a K&N filter. Set up works good and the car is pretty fast. They also needed a bigger pipe out the back.

you should be running 5-7 psi stock, check the afm connectors as this is typical and check the fuel pump, if possible get a fuel pressure guage and run it inside the car or on the hood where you can see it when you boost it should climb from about 40-60 psi, also verify taht your wastegate actuator is holding the wastegate door shut, the actuator arm pushes the lever on the wastegate housing, and of course look for any possible boost leak, and check for free spin in the impeller

Standard boost on those cars won't show much over 0psi at full throttle. After I put a K&N filter on and ran the boost up I get around 3psi now. Didn't want to go any higher I just like blowing off the kids in the civics with big pipes and a fin. If you are still running stock intake trash it. I used a three inch exhaust elbow with a brace welded on to a convenient bolt and then bolted on a K&N filter. Set up works good and the car is pretty fast. They also needed a bigger pipe out the back.

WTF??? Sounds like YOUR turbo has a problem too... like evildky said: stock boost is 5-7psi. Attached is what the 280zx TURBO factory service manual says about the turbocharger. If you do the math of converting mmHG to PSI... you get 6-7psi.

turbo op_thumb.jpg