HybridZ

Need some input on piston ring selection

boostin280zx

Alright, i had been running a stock '82 turbo motor in my car for awhile now until the rings went out and the blow by cause preigntion and a piston melted.

I have a '82 NA f54 block in my car now but it needs new rings already so i'm just going to go ahead and rebuild it this time. I want to keep the NA block b/c the flat top pistons made the compression ratio wayyy better and the car had way more power.

I talked to racetep and they have blueprints for the je and total seal gapless rings for the NA pistons. I'm pretty sure im going to get a set from them and have the top rings high heat coated.

I know there are many differnt ring designs but i was wondering what other people have been using and which ones will take a lot of abuse???

And one more thing,i have asked a few different people and have got different answers. Is the only difference between a '82 Turbo f54 bottom end and a '82 NA f54 bottom end the pistons and rings???? Crank and rods are the same, right????

o yea, i plan on runnning only 15 psi max

Will the NA pistons be reliable as long as fuel and ignition timing are good. I was running 15psi on the NA and it seemed to take it good, no pinging or anything.

I have a ems to control the ign. timing and plenty of fuel to stay in safe a/f ratios and wideband and egt to make sure nothings going wrong.

I would run the pistons designed for turbo / supercharger, they are forged aand the top ring is set lower down on the piston. The rings I have read about the gapless rings and want to try them sometime. I hear they give you more horsepower due to the fact they are not letting compresion through. Presently we run the file ti fit rings and I file mine top ring 24, bottom ring 26.

Have not had any problems with this setup until I leaned the motor out and burned two pistons, due to the fact I think fuel pump messed, have replaced.

Good luck

John