HybridZ

Panasports & Brake Clearance

Anyone got this combo installed?????

Panasport 15" or 16" with Toyota 4 Piston Vented Front Discs and Modern Motorsports 11.4" Rear Discs?

From what I can find the rear conversion will clear the stock wheels so either the 15 or 16 Panasports shouldn't be any problem.

The fronts are probably the real question.............

I REALLY like the Panasport look and can't see spending that kind of money for 14" wheels. Can't decide whether 16" are too much or if I should go with the 15's. Can anyone direct me to pictures with 15" and 16" Panasports for comparison? Don't want to use adaptors or change hubs and go with Honda wheels.

I have panasport 16x7 on my '73 with the toyota vented 4 piston calipers and have no clearance issues. I'm about ready to install modern motorsports brackets and 240sx calipers on the rear, and having eyeballed it, I doubt there will be any clearance issues.

I upgraded from 14" because I couldn't find many performance rubber in that size and since 16" is not a big deal on passenger cars anymore, I figured it's only a matter of time before the same thing happens with 15". I've been very happy with the 16".

Note: these pictures were taken when I still had the non-vented calipers and stock suspension. Looks better now that that it's 1" lower.

DSCN1910 cropped (Medium)_thumb.JPG

DSCN1911 (Medium)_thumb.JPG

Zmanco....

Thanks for the pictures. As I understand it those are 16" Panasports with stock suspension/ride height. What did you do to lower the ride 1"? Coilovers?

I don't think I'm ready to go that route. I've bought the reproduction european springs as well as KYB struts to go stock ride height/harshness. Am certainly debating the urethane vs rubber bushings right now. Might go rubber here and there and urethane elsewhere. Of course the occasional urethane will accelerate the rubber failure rate, so just another thing to contemplate............

Man, there's a boatload of decisions once you make the decision not to go 100% stock.

I used the Tokico springs and Ilumina struts. Pretty firm for the street, even on the softest setting, but for a toy car it's just right. It would get a bit old if it was a daily driver for me.

I just got back from a Z club meeting, and we were discussing the pros and cons of urethane bushings. 3 people had tried them and had 3 different opinions. One put them on an early Z and thought it was perfect, not too rough or loud. Another also on an early Z said they were too much except for the track. The third put them on his ZX and didn't know what the big deal was all about - he didn't notice that much of an increase in harshness, but also didn't think the performance improvement was all that great either.

I stayed with stock rubber since I want to still drive mine around on Saturday afternoons, and traffic is a fact of life. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what's right for them with the trade offs.