HybridZ

What TIG to buy?

dr_hunt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing like a disaster to force an issue into motion.

Yesterday while working I had a magnetic wet drum separator break in half. It was just worn thin in the middle. It is a stainless steel drum with a 1/4" thick stainless shell with rare earth magnets in it to separate magnetic material out from my gravel products. Fairly important.

So, I called the manufacturer and they want $6,500 for a new stainless shell, but they don't have one and I'd have to wait 6 weeks or so!

So, pondering my situation, which was one reason I went to the bar last night, I figured that I could buy sheet stainless, have it rolled to fit over this shell, tig weld it together and stitch weld the ends and be back in business. Mind you this thing is 20+ years old, so I was thinking 3/16 sheet should do it, then when it wears through I can grind the stitch welds off and redo it.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, looking on ebay and there is an HTP tig on there, demo model from the manufacturer, so I'm going to have to buy that now! Like in 2 days! So, hands off, I need it.

What's the dimensions on the stainless drum? There's a metal scrap yard a mile from my shop and they have lots of large OD stainless piping.

30" OD x 7 feet long x 1/4" thickness. It's actually a full sheet welded together. They make a sheet that is 7 feet by 21 feet, but it's kind of pricey.

I had to run out and get some parts so I stopped by the yard. Lots of 1/4" x 18" OD stainless pipe and a 3' length of 24" OD. They do have a stainless steel tank they are planning on cutting up and scrapping. Its about 40" OD, 18' long, and is probably 3/16 to 1/4" thick. There's about a 12' section in the middle with no openings so a 7' section could easily be cut out. It will be a week or two before they get around to working on the tank. If its something you're interested, give me a call at the shop. The phone number is on the web site.