HybridZ

What TIG to buy?

dr_hunt

Ok, since tig welders are like hens teeth around here and the ones that are here don't want to work, it looks like I'm in the market for a TIG. I know there are alot of welding pro's here so give me some input on what to buy.

Requirements, 220V single phase, although I do have a 70KW wisperwatt genset mounted on a tandem axle chassis that has 240/480V three phase. Seeing as how i probably won't use the tig that much that is an option as well.

Capable of welding up downpipes, headers, aluminum. I don't know about the thickness but I'd like to fab my own downpipes, headers, intercooler piping etc.

What should I buy?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look into a ThermalArc 185 or so. Its a FANTASTIC TIG unit for the money. Ive been looking at them for ages now but cant possibly afford one. I want it for exactly what you describe needing one for.

Ive talked to many TA owners and they all absolutely rave about the unti and its features for the price.

David I was also looking for a tig. I went to a welding shop and looked at them in action, they were using an older licoln sqaurewave 175. I liked it and told them if they ever upgraded I would like to buy it. Well I checked back, almost a year and he said it was time to upgrade. So I was able to purchase it for $600.00. They bought a Miller syncwave 300 I think.

Just an idea, I saw it in action is was heavy duty, I liked it and was able to purchase it.

John

Yep ccmpared to a new one, not bad to me. It does stick, ac-tig, ac+tig, dc-tig, dc+tig. Came with a custom torch, cart and alot of accessory's. Also since it has squarewave technology it welds aluminum beautiful.

Damn' date=' $600 for a used one!

Thermal Arc, how much, I found a dealer for them in Alb. but they don't list prices![/quote']

Miller's new Syncrowave 200 has the pulser built in and will do what you need. You can't go wrong with Miller...no questions asked. I loved my 180SD Tig. Worked great...3 year warranty, dealers everywhere and support and parts available when you need them, not 6 or 8 weeks later. Just an opinion, mine...hehe

Miller's site

Available through Ebay for cheaper, so don't look at the price listed. I've ordered from a couple of major sellers on ebay and it's shipped to your door. Your local Miller dealer may even match the online price from ebay, so ask them.

Warren

I'm thinking the precision tig 225 by lincoln, the miller syncrowave 200 you linked or the thermal arc 185 (now discontinued).

So, it looks like the field got narrowed to either the lincoln or the miller.

I called Albuquerque, it's freaking nuts what they want for the lincoln 225 weld pak complete $2800, I can buy it online for $1959.68 plus shipping!!

The miller synchrowave runner 200 is $3150 in alb., online it's $2350.00 plus shipping.

These guys must be morons in this day and age to think that people don't shop online before calling!

I'm thinking precion tig 225 by lincoln, is that a good choice?

I bought my Precision TIG 275 from these guys off an eBay listing:

http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com

Total price for the 275, including a bunch of extras, was 3,950.00.

You'll need a 220V single phase 50 amp circuit for the welders you're looking at. I had to upgrade to a 100 amp circuit for the 275, kept blowing the breaker when welding aluminum over 200 amps.

BTW... a water cooled torch is nice when welding aluminum.

Hey Doc, I use a Lincoln Precision Tig 185 for the same type of projects you speak of. Couldn't be happier with it. I've done everything from 18 ga. sheet on up to 3/8 plate steel with it. Also lays down some bitchin aluminum welds with a special pulse feature. Gets my vote for sure.

Cool, I'm checking them out now. Will make a decision over the weekend and order one next week.

I wanted to get the Monte going, cause I'm tired of it setting around with no engine. So, I get that done and then I'm in need of a tig welder. Called him, yeah I'll do it for $300 plus materials, Ok, when, next weekend, well, that weekend came and went and I'm tired of playing the "find the tig welding guy" game. I don't mind paying whatever they charge, just get it done, not say, I'll do it and then you can't find them anymore, don't answer the phone, etc. Screw it, I'll do it myself and have the equipment to boot. I think it comes down to integrity at some point, you either have it or you don't. So, instead of paying someone $300 or $400 to do the welding I'll spend $2K or more just to buy a tig welder and then I'll do tig welding for $300 to $400 for the folks in my area. I haven't tig welded since '95 or so, lots of years, but I can and do gas weld, mig and stick, pretty good cause my '33 hasn't fallen apart yet, so it'll take awhile. Besides, my shop needs to be "full service".

I need a radiator setup too, I used to do that and now nobody does that anymore!

Mine is a TSW185 Thermo Dynamics. TIG function works awesome very adjustable indeed. It will weld .125 alum really sweet. .187 is as far it will go in alum. My best friend is welder by trade. When I ask him what is good and what sucks he says....You get what you pay for.

Yeah, I figured around $2K or $3K, but we are always looking for a deal and from what you all are telling me and what I found using the "search" function it seems that a 200 or less machine will do all I probably want or need to do, which will be aluminum radiators, intercooler piping, possibly intercoolers, stainless exhaust pipe and stainless headers, maybe even roll cages, who knows.

Ok, so where do you all get your stainless tubing for downpipes and exhaust?

Ok, so where do you all get your stainless tubing for downpipes and exhaust?

I've ordered from these guys before. Good prices, selection, etc. I liked them better when their website wasn't all "riced out" : http://stores.ebay.com/Verocious-Motorsports_Bends_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

As far as TIG machines go, I have a lot of experience with portable welders by Thermal Arc/Thermal Dynamics as well as Miller, Hobart, PowCon, and Lincoln. For all around versatility as well as durability, the TA machines are hard to beat.