HybridZ

Dead Battery after just replacing it.

JSM

2 weeks ago I jumped in and the battery was dead, 73 240z. Charged it and no go. Took it back to walmart and it was determined there was a bad cell.

Jumped in yesterday and dead as a door nail again. Something has to be on or shorted.

Is the voltage regulator suppossed to click when you connect or disconnect the battery? Is that an indication something is on?

Where do I start to look? Mechanically, I pretty good, but electronics I'm a novice.

Troubleshoot. You are looking for the amperage (current) draw, not voltage, from the battery. Close the doors and ensure nothing is turned on (engine, radio, lights, etc.). Key in off position. Lift the negative lead off the battery and put a digital voltmeter between the negative post and negative lead. Polarity won't matter. Set the meter to read Ua (microamperes). If the meter indicates an error or fails to display then reset meter to Ma (milliamperes). You should see no current draw in a bone stock 73 unless you have a later radio with memory which will draw a very small current (6 or 7 Ua maybe) which will not drain a battery over a few months. You will see current draw if there is a drain on the battery. Disconnect the meter and insulate the negative lead from ground. Remove and insulate the leads off the alternator. Reconnect the meter to the negative cable. Does the current draw go away? If so, you have a problem in the charging system. If not, insulate the negative lead again. Reconnect the alternator and reconnect the negative cable to the meter. Open door and hold the interior light switch closed (in the door frame) or pull the interior light bulb. Lift one fuse at a time until the current draw goes away. That circuit will be the culprit to investigate. This is not difficult but is time consuming. A logical approach will aid you in resolving the problem.