HybridZ

Raw gas fumes are killing me!!

SU'dCrazy280

Ok, so I can't drive my 76 Z without the windows open because the raw gas fumes are so bad. I don't have an exhaust fume problem, which is good, but I think that these fumes are coming straight from the engine bay. Well, I run the 390cfm Holley w/ the arizonazcar manifold and a holley red fuel pump. I love the power increase, but the fumes are getting so bad that I am starting to get headaches, and it is more of a health issue than anything. I don't know if it has anything to do with how high my idle is, I have to idle at about 1600 rpm's because of my cam. Another thing may be the hole in my firewall I am using for my new temp sensor. Please help with any advice you have, I love driving my Z, but the fumes are so bad that it is more unpleasant now. Oh, and I don't have any fuel leaks anywhere either. Thanks

Mark T.

First, get a grommet for that new hole in the firewall. Second, unless you have a bowl float problem or a leaky fuel line, you won't get fumes from the engine compartment. I would think your fumes are coming from the sealed port on top of the tank under the rear carpet or from a broken/torn filler neck. Replace the seal around the tank port in the rear and check your filler neck really well. If you want to do it right, drop the tank and check everything really well to make sure it's clean and sealed, including the lines.

280 , If you are not running a air cleaner on that quad , get one. If you have air flowing across the top of the carb while driving it can cause fuel to be sucked out and into he engine bay.

On my 240z where the gas goes in , on the inside behind a panel is a breather tube that was connected by a plastic connector that was completely broken. The car was venting the gas right into the vehicle, when the windows were down it smelled bad and whipped around the car, when they were rolled up not so bad. Good luck

This has been addressed so many times. The bottom line is you'll need to pull the interior panels to get to the vent hoses and expansion tank. You'll need to check and probably replace every gasket and grommet. You'll need to ensure there are no exhaust leaks anywhere and any missing or damaged seals or grommets at the firewall are replaced. Opinions vary but my exhaust tip extends out to just past the rear bumper . http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103301&highlight=magnaflow. See post 17 and 18. There is no easy answer or fix. After going through my 71 (EVERYTHING was replaced) and I took it for a spirited run through the neighborhood with the windows down. I used to reek of fumes and feel nausous after driving my Z any distance. Finally, there was no problem with fumes! The real test will be out on the highway once the car is aligned, inspected and tagged legally.