HybridZ

Sufficient Welder

tfreer85

So my Dad went out and bought a new welder today. Its got a power generator on the back. Its going to be mostly for mine and his use but for his construction company too (i.e. tax write off). I think it will be just barely sufficient enough to weld up my exhaust and intake pipe..... Oh, did I say it could power our ENTIRE house for 6hrs??? Its a Lincoln Electric Ranger 10,000 (could be wrong just looked at it quickly), here are the pics. Any comments are welcome, I'm pretty it has ability to do TIG, MIG, and ARC.

100_0857.jpg

100_0859.jpg

100_0858.jpg

100_0860.jpg

Tyson

Damn. Nice unit. Let us know how it welds.

Might want to rethink that statement about powering the whole house. 9000 watts is not an overly large generator as far as house loads go. Also unless it has an electronic voltage regulator it could be unsafe to power electronic stuff with. Unless it is specifically rated for computers and such don't use it that way without some type of UPS filter.

Damn. Nice unit. Let us know how it welds.

Might want to rethink that statement about powering the whole house. 9000 watts is not an overly large generator as far as house loads go. Also unless it has an electronic voltage regulator it could be unsafe to power electronic stuff with. Unless it is specifically rated for computers and such don't use it that way without some type of UPS filter.

Well I was exaggerating. I have no intentions of using it for anything electrical. Only thing my dad will use the electrical plug ins would be for small drills and saws. Nothing serious, it is designed (according to the manual) to be able to supply electricity without any filters. I don't know much about welders i'm just going off of what the brochure and manual are saying.

Tyson

tfreer85

thats EXACTLY the same welder as one of my three welders in the shop, I got mine at home depot on sale for $2350 and it was a STEAL, it does most of my shops welding that does not require me to borrow the TIG welder my neighbor has.and its been running without any major problems for about 18 months now

thats a nice basic welder

BTW I built a cart with (4 ) 10" swivel casters so I could easily move it around the shop and added a 20 ft ground,cable with clamp and a 40 ft welder cable

and youll need an additional kit that costs about $900 to tig weld and its not going to do an excellent job on the TIG, but it will work as a TIG unit for most applications, (WITH THE ADDITIONAL KIT) I looked into that

Think of it as a "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" welder. With the proper attachements (TIG kit, Wire feed, etc.) it can do any kind of welding you want but it won't be the best machine for each process. But, that's OK because a good welder can weld using just about anything that generates and arc or a flame.

Before I opened my shop I seriously considered buying a big step van and building a mobile fab shop. The idea was to provide welding services to most of these bolt-on "Tuner" shops. That Ranger welder was what I was planning on installing on the truck.

tfreer85

thats EXACTLY the same welder as one of my three welders in the shop' date=' I got mine at home depot on sale for $2350 and it was a STEAL, it does most of my shops welding that does not require me to borrow the TIG welder my neighbor has.and its been running without any major problems for about 18 months now

thats a nice basic welder

BTW I built a cart with (4 ) 10" swivel casters so I could easily move it around the shop and added a 20 ft ground,cable with clamp and a 40 ft welder cable

and youll need an additional kit that costs about $900 to tig weld and its not going to do an excellent job on the TIG, but it will work as a TIG unit for most applications, (WITH THE ADDITIONAL KIT) I looked into that[/quote']

Thats good to here grumpy, we're definitely looking into building some sort of system to allow us to pull it off the trucks and into the garage. I don't really need TIG, but when the time comes I'll be looking into it.

JohnC: The jack of all trades works out well for me, because I've never welded before. I don't expect to be as good as a specific TIG, MIG, etc. welder but I think it will do good for me to learn on and be way better than a Harbor Freight unit.

Thanks for the input guys, it just kinda makes me cringe when I think about the Construction guys using it (not the best at taking care of things).

Tyson