HybridZ

Turbo w/twin SU's??

phantaz

OK boys and girls... i dont own a turbo nor have i owned one but i have to admit ive been reading up and would eventually like to get one. Now about 3 weeks ago i went down to SW Oklahoma for the start of Dove season and we met at some guys house who owned the land we were going to hunt on. Met in the barn to shoot the ♥♥♥♥, blah blah blah and back in the corner under a cover was a very distinctive shape.. Yep won 20 bucks on that one as it was a 280z. no one else came close..all thought it was a vette. anyways..i starting looking at it and realized it was pretty clean even with about 12 years of dirt on it under the car cover but had all kinds of crap on top of it including what looked like a pinball machine?? weird crap for a farmer but whatever.. i could only get the hood up about 6 inches or so and could see the SU's. but it had somekind of weird oval heat shield where the back SU was but at an angle toward the front headlight.. kinda like a cover for your roof vent.. anyways.. was weird. saw some more piping under it was was like wtf.. so i moved some lumber stacked under the car and there was an oval aircleaner sitting just above the steering rack.. i was really intrigued so i wedged myself under it and damnded if there wasnt a turbo sitting right there slung between and below the SU's with piping running everywhere. Now ive seen some carb'd turbos before but nothing with SU's. anyone else heard of this???? and should i go back and offer him some cash for it? Guy said it was his son's who left it back in the late 80s. just been sitting there ever since. oh and since it was dark and crap under it i couldnt get any cellphone pics to come out sorry.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SU's were in the normal location.. i just couldnt see them very well especially the heat shield thingy..

now.. what the hell is blow-through?? lol

all turbo carb's ive seen were on SBC and had a plenum over the carb im assuming for pressure reasons.

oh and it was a mid 70's 280.

If you stop and think about it for a second, you'll probably kick yourself: the two types of turbo carb systems are either blow-through or draw through. In a blow through, the turbo blows air through a carb that's in the standard location. In order for this to work, the carb has to be prepped so that it doesn't leak boost and the fuel float won't collapse. It's do-able, and is done all the time. The other way is a draw through, where the carb goes BEFORE the turbo, and the air/fuel mixture actually passes through the turbo before going directly to the engine. This was was really common before EFI, and at least one kit existed to do this on an L series (in fact, last time I checked at least one of these was for sale in the classifieds here). One of the advantages to a draw through is that you don't have to do much prep work to the fuel system, the carb is going to act just like it normally would. It will just "think" it's attatched to a larger engine. One of the major disadvantages is the fact that they can't be intercooled in any traditional way, leaving you really only the option of using an anti-detonant like water/methanol injection or something like it. The ones you saw on SBCs were blow through by the sound of it. I've got a buddy who was trying to do the blow through on a 4-barrell conversion L28, but his holley would never run correctly NA, so he went back to his su's. He had the old cartech su to 4-barrell adapter.

Blow through:

572.JPG

draw through:

SU_carb-Turbo.jpg

Yea that pic of the blow through on the SBC is what ive mainly seen.. i couldnt see the set up near what i wanted to so im not sure what this was ...id did have the two SU's so im assuming it was blow through...they seemed to have some kind of "plenum" in front where the usually big orange air filter would sit for bothof them.. so im guessing it "blew" into this and through the carbs.. man now im thinking about driving back down there to see if he would let me take some pictures.

See how much he want's for the whole car, maybe you'll be one of those "Found it in a barn" stories!

I think that plenum will probably have air lines running to the fuel bowls to keep the pressure equalized, and there will most likely be hose clamps on the fuel feed lines underneath the SUs. I'm curious what else was done to prep those carbs, because I was thinking of fabricating that exact setup for my car before I got the megasquirt...

yea no kidding.. would be kewl if it ran..after draining the fuel tank and pre lubing the cylinders, oil spinning the turbo ..etc etc etc. hmm didnt see any IC piping either now that im thinking of it... but still.

thing looked like every bit of wiring was eaten by barn rats though... not that they dont have elec problems from sitting anyways lol

sorry... nite shift throws me off schedule a bit.. This guy is in Montana for a moose hunt... yep i said moose lol. i guess the pack in on mules and camp for like 3 weeks so im not sure when im going to get a reply back from him...

must be nice to be retired.

yea.. i saw that crown one before for sale. This one definatly had two SU's on it though. and the air filter for the inlet on the turbo was about where the SU is on that first picture for the Crown turbo but lower i think.. and the SU's seemed to be in the normal spots with the exception of the heat shield mounted...................geez i need to make a road trip and see if i can get some pictures. and prove im not going insane lol.

• 1 month later...

nope.... its a friend of my Dads when he was living out in western Oklahoma as a kid... so i know where it is... but havnt had the time to go back out there...its a 4 hour drive 1 one. so probably when quail or pheasant season starts i will have another chance to look at it.. they all hunt and i decided this year i was going to go to all the bird seasons. sooo sometime around thanksgiving i should have some pics.

I have a 240Z with a draw through Tom's Turbo System on it.

If I remember correctly there where several blow through su/webber setups for sale at one time and there is a picture of one in the how to tune you datsun books. Again if I remember correctly it quoted 240hp for the system.

Was it for the single SU set up or for duals?? im starting to think i was seeing things... except for extreme customizations ive only seen the singles.. and this was some farmers son's car so i cant see a whole lot of intense one off customizing....but ive been wrong before =). should be down there in like 2 weeks with a camera crew to prove i wasnt seeing things =)

Was it for the single SU set up or for duals?? im starting to think i was seeing things... except for extreme customizations ive only seen the singles.. and this was some farmers son's car so i cant see a whole lot of intense one off customizing....but ive been wrong before =). should be down there in like 2 weeks with a camera crew to prove i wasnt seeing things =)
If the guy will sell it , and you don't want it ,get his # and i'll come and get it. I'm in fort worth. icon10.gif