HybridZ

Turbo w/twin SU's??

phantaz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe it used strombergs they look somewhat similar to the su's but are also used in blow trough turbo set ups on euro cars back in the day ..

Stromberg_pair_sm.jpg

However this is THE era that gave turbos a bad name and rep .. and that might learn you something ...

if you really want it ... the singel draw through kit was available in the UK under janspeed as they never got the zxt ( poor them !!)

anyhow tony ... your fond farewell and into problem less efi haha i can remember a MsS thread LOL

Anyhow i would for the uniqueness, love to see it tried.. i mean why not !

I have don stuff that is not useful but hey that is what it is a hobby for .. however bear the reminder with you ... it is by far from the easy path!

i guess your nickname is "god" b/c you do know all chap! apparently you keep bringing up phyisics , but you dont explore all possiblities within its "physical extent", b/f failer (closed minded). no one said that you you are WRONG about everything, but you do get quite pissy when it comes to what is the complete truth and not partial truth. like i said b/f, "yay" you have experience! good for you!!! but do you really think, b/c it hasnt been successfully done that it cant be just as good as anything else? btw you write alot!!! anyhow; you are determined to "dominate this thread" well you know what go for it! just remember good things can come from ideas and so can bad things. now let me ask you this,

"have you explored ALL modifications to make a brass float not collapse after 10psi?". what about what some people do with the floats.... lets say reinforcing them with brazed on tubing so it doesnt collapse under higher boost levels

"explain to me how a boost-indexted FPR works,and why?" so we can see just what exactly you are trying to say.

"did i say you cant use water/methonal injection?" last i check i wrote "air" aka, intercooler. <---maybe i should have specified for "you"

"why should the fuel pump only be 14psi and not higher?" b/c i didnt say that was the max.

"why feel insulted about what you HAVEN'T done yet?" you have not, i repeat, have not done this combo b/f according to your statments. what i was trying to say b/f you misunderstood it, was that if you properly take the time to think it out, proceed and plan, then adjust to likeable reasoning thats what your results will be.

"why do you think im ignoring you? was it something i said?" where are you getting that from tony? its like buying a car here, you have to compare all designs of the different cars.... i dont understand why you are so uptight about this.

"whats wrong with uniqueness? who said uniqueness cant be efficent?" think about this a "vapor" carb by Charles Nelson Pogue. many say it was fake, a myth, or just flat out didnt happen. well if you believe it didnt well, back it up b/c if you use "physics" it is possible. btw, from various patents, it was efficent, and just as good as the other carburetors when it came to power difference.

"who is making stuff up tony?" when i say RESEARCH, i mean looking into the matter, from "other" peoples experiences, and proven methods of doing this kind of setup.

"what is there not to understand about throttle response?" i hope you realize that if fuel has to travel a longer length to get to the chamber, the response wont be as quick.

"lets see, less fuel from one carb, or more fuel from two; whats more logical?" atomizing fuel through a turbocharge good; less fuel no good. how about you stick two carbs before that turbo and we call that even? lol.

"pressure leak vs. vaccum leak?" either way your pretty motor will go boom, by fuel fumes from pressure leaks (fire or explosion under the hood) or death by detonation due to lean conditions. which is safer, i think detonation.

"why is it that tunning cant be easier on a blow though setup?" it seems with the 4 barrel guys just upgrade the jets for enrichment with the boost-indexted FPR

"btw, im ignorant?" no my friend for me accually looking into this subject through other references and bringing it to your attention, then you calling me a liar, or telling me i make stuff up. nope, i do believe your the ignorant one.

james

(p.s. we can still be friends right?)

anyhow tony ... your fond farewell and into problem less efi haha i can remember a MsS thread LOL

Seriously, Frank, the problems I have had with Megasquirt are NOTHING compared with what you go through tuning SU's! Seriously, I would trade electronic issues ANY DAY to trying to get fuel mixture correct in a peak band around best torque on some carburettors!

With the Megasquirt, it was totally experimental. Carburettors have been around forever, and the tuning procedures are well known. Problem is, as many people say, they are little more than a "controlled vacuum leak". This is not what you need on a turbo setup.

Carburettors work extremely well in two cases:

WOT and Idle. Anything in between they are absolutely HIDEOUS at maintaining AFR, as well as being tunable.

Would I trade my Blow-Through Mikuini Setup for an HKS ITB and Megasquirt Powered Setup: ANY DAY! And that's coming from someone who lived with the carbs daily for years. I had the Mikuinis running REALLY WELL, but to close your eyes to the shortfalls of carburetion, in light of the inexpensive EFI available today...well it's a bit closed-minded.

If you want to build a period car, and relive the 80's, fine. Just don't think you will get something with ANYTHING LIKE the driveability of what is available with EFI today. There is a reason the OEM's have gone to EFI on Turbocharged cars. If they could have kept their eixsting technology, they would have!

There are reasons almost ALL turbo guys are going EFI... You can spend your $$$$ and time elsewhere on the car to make it go faster..

You do what you want, you called me closed minded, and got upset over being told facts of the matter. Then you implied I didn't know what I was doing or didn't try hard enough.

Do what you want, I'll not "shut you down" at all. Sorry I tried to explain my experiences, and you decided to be offended by it.

I'm kind of with olderthanme on this one, except I'll say "spend your $$$ however you want". From this point forward, expect only glowing stroking psycophantic praies for anything you wish to accomplish.

Dominate the thread? Hardly. Being thorough in my replies, absolutely. Remember my words so you can bring them back up later when you have done this all and proved us all wrong.