HybridZ

Steering Knuckles

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok folks, redoing suspension, gonna be at the ball joints soon...Saw somewhere, steering knuckles, that were shortened about 10 mm or so....what difference would these make? Besides the obvious fewer turns, lock to lock? Thinking about high speed and what not...how would high speed handling be effected? Anyone have them installed? Thanks!

I hope I have not been miss-informed all this time but I thought all Z cars carried the same knuckle, and that the 10mm shorter ones were special competition stampings only. What's the real poop on this (being I paid $70 for the "competition arms" many years ago)? Are they really 510 arms?

Terry

Had them on my previous Z. I didn't drive it much but it didn't seem to make steering effort too bad. I guess if you feel the steering is too loose go for it (shrug). This car doesn't have them that I know about, steering feels fine to me so I'm not looking to get them right now.

I have them only because when I put strut spacers (often called "bumpsteer spacers") on my Z years ago, it caused the outer tie rod to come down enough that it interfered with the 14x7 wheels I had on the car (Michael Ol has these wheels now).

The shorter arms were almost enough to completely get rid of the interference, although I had to do some VERY slight grinding on the tie rod body to get clearance.

I didn't feel that the steering effort as horrible, but it was a bit difficult to steer at parking speeds. Then again, it didn't seem hugely more difficult for parking speeds than before when I had the OE knuckles on and those wheels and 225/60-14s on the car. Body building could help offset the effect icon_wink.gif.

The on the road feel was very nice.

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Like Owen, I also heard that the shorter knuckles were from 280Z's! Hrm, me thinks there is confusion in da kamp. I'd love to know "the truth" about them. Heck, I don't want to pay more for something I could pull from a 510 or 280Z at the wrecking yard!

David

Early 240's (I think 10/70 and before) have 10mm shorter steering knuckles. They changed them due to people complaining about heavy steering effort. If you're using wide tires ont he street, they are not recommended. If you're racing, they give you a quicker response.

AL

Guest Anonymous

well...since i pretty much was used to turning my old Camaro with a 245 out front with no power steering...think i might try em out...figure, i've got skinner tires, and a lighter car, so what the hell, eh?

• 2 weeks later...