HybridZ

EFI 302 in a Z31 Information

Guest Ejk240

Hello everyone,

I am new here to hybridz but i think i can get more information here than i can on z31.com. Anyway, i just bought a 1993 Thunderbird and it has a 5.0 HO motor/AOD transmission in it because for about 6 months now, eversince a guy next door put a 350 in his 300zx, i have wanted to beat him in a drag race with a ford powered Zcar.(my stock turbo 300zx wont cut it). since i took the turbo motor out of my 1984 turbo and put it in my NA 300zx, i now have a car to put a ford small block in. So i was just wondering if anyone has done a EFI swap(I've seen a carb'd one), this is my first question.

Now my second question is if anyone here has ever put the 8.8 rear end out of a thunderbird up under there Zcar. This would really help because i know that my rear end is open differential and the thunderbird on is trac-lock.

FYI: I also have experience in fabricating because me and my dad race a 1972 pinto with a 351W with a 9 inch rear to back it up, so i might not have alot of troble with the motor mounts.

And i am also planning on, after i get the v8 set up right, driving it back and forth to NC State University next year. I am also trying to join Wolfpack Motorsports(http://clubs.ncsu.edu/motorsports/)

I will apperciate all information greatly.

DYNO TUNE YOUR z31

it has timing problems i PROMISE.

upgrade the intercooler, turbo, injectors, exhaust, throttle body, intake mani, and i promise you'll get your boy with the 302 z31. :]

you'd be surprised how far dyno tuning can get your car. it might be expensive but once you see the power increases you'll forget about it.

Not sure about Z31's but I believe there are both s30's with the EFI swap as well as s30's with Ford 8.8" around.

I personally think your idea is good one compared to upgrading the stock motor. It would take a considerable amount more boost and modifications to the stock unit to make it beat even a stock Chevy 350 (depending on year I guess).

Hey, Thanks for the comments.

But i have ran the question of the 8.8 rear by some of the people in Wolfpack Motorsports here at NCSU and they said that it shouldn't be a really big problem adapting the 8.8 rear end to my 300zx, except for making the mount for the differential and the half-shafts.

Another thing i found out about the efi 5.0 swap is that, when i get the 5.0 in the car and get everything running properly, I could easyly put a 351W in its place, roller perferably, with little modification.(Just slightly bigger injectors, a new MAF, and a efi lower intake)

This is just information for anyone who wants to know.

I apperciate the comments.

Hey' date=' Thanks for the comments.

But i have ran the question of the 8.8 rear by some of the people in Wolfpack Motorsports here at NCSU and they said that it shouldn't be a really big problem adapting the 8.8 rear end to my 300zx, except for making the mount for the differential and the half-shafts.

Another thing i found out about the efi 5.0 swap is that, when i get the 5.0 in the car and get everything running properly, I could easyly put a 351W in its place, roller perferably, with little modification.(Just slightly bigger injectors, a new MAF, and a efi lower intake)

This is just information for anyone who wants to know.

I apperciate the comments.

[/font']

Yes the 351W is the exact same (externally) as a 302 except for a taller deck height to accomodate more stroke. Not sure if a 5.0L HO intake will bolt up though.... might just get a bronco EFI intake.