HybridZ

intake manifold idea

dj paul

i was thinking, what if the intake manifold had longer runners towards the front and they gradually got shorter towards the rear. would this give you a variation of the higher revving flow capabilities of long runners and the low end flow of short runners? or would this just create turbulence? would it be good for turbo? NA? and another thing, what if you could have a throttle body at both ends of the intake manifold, so the rear 3 cylinders get equal air at the exact same time as the front 3. you could run pipes around to the front and tie them together. to do this there would be sharp bends in the intake tubing coming from the rear throttle body. so instead i guess could you route one from the cowl and one from the front with equal length tubing and teach megasquirt to read 2 MAF sensors? im guessing that this would be more work than its worth but i was just thinking. I havent taken my thermodynamics or fluid transfer courses yet so im not sure. If you all are not sure of what im talking about ill make a picture of both ideas.

Paul

A more elegant solution to the equal air distribution is to just put the throttle body in the middle, like on the RB motors and the 7m motors (and many others I'm sure, those just came to mind first), that would save you plumbing and complexity. As for decreasing runner length, I'm not sure if there would be a benifit to that. I imagine if it were worth doing, it would have turned up on some OEM works car from SOMEBODY by now. I'm of the opinion that there are very few novel or new ideas left that haven't been at least thought of, if not implemented in regards to the internal combustion engine as we know it.

Arizona Z Car used to make one, not sure if they still do but I couldn't find it on their website. Always looks to me like one end or the other of the plenum isn't going to get much flow. With the TB in the middle it looks like both 1 and 6 are getting the short end of the stick. It's tough to look at something like an intake manifold and "know" how its going to react though. If you're looking at stock L6 stuff I think the biggest restriction is the AFM. Get rid of that sucker before you bother with an intake manifold would be my suggestion.