HybridZ

Ever heard of this............

jbk240z

I think this is a good place to post this, if not, admins please move as you see fit.

Anyway, I saw this '75 Prostreet Monte on ebay, item #140030733511. Ad says it has two TH400 trans, creating a 5 speed? I guess the 1st trans is mounted as normal, then the 2nd trans minus bellhousing is mounted almost similar to a Gear Vendors overdrive unit? I am pretty sure a Z does not have room for this, I am just curious about this type of install.

Well, since high gear is high gear and 1:1 I don't see how that could be possible to have overdrive at all. You can't put the high drum anywhere but where it goes, so I don't know how he moved it from third to first. I would be able to have super low gearing, but it would be a 9 speed, not a 5 speed. They probably think it's fast because they put the second trans in first and then run the car through the first three gears of the first trans. That way they can talk ricer and say they caught 3 gears before they crossed the stoplight. I guess I'll just be the first to say BS!

Well, since high gear is high gear and 1:1 I don't see how that could be possible to have overdrive at all. You can't put the high drum anywhere but where it goes, so I don't know how he moved it from third to first. I would be able to have super low gearing, but it would be a 9 speed, not a 5 speed. They probably think it's fast because they put the second trans in first and then run the car through the first three gears of the first trans. That way they can talk ricer and say they caught 3 gears before they crossed the stoplight. I guess I'll just be the first to say BS!

It all depends on what math you use... 3x3=9 or 3+3=6 or 3+3-1=5, heh, heh. Seems like a silly thing to do, IMO. That is unless you want a rock climber... and a pro street Monte is no rock climber:biggrin:

Thought of that, but the second trans wouldn't work until the pump was turning which would be attached to the rear end somehow. Would be a weird driveline.

Yeah baby... two T56 trannies back-to-back for a 36-SPEED with a combined .25 overdrive. But uh... which way would it go???:shock:

....So what happens then when you floor it? Do both trans downshift? How would the set up be programmed? What!?

The input shaft bearing looks very unsupported in 2nd trans. All that leverage on the very rear crossmember.... Not to discourage, but it's a joke. I saw the car on ebay it looks nice, ....for a family car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140030733511&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D140030733511%26fvi%3D1

Ok, so you would have 2 lower gears in the first trans input into the second trans that you wouldn't normally have. so you have 9 speeds, none of which is OD! The point of all of that is?????

How does the first trans mate to the second trans, doesn't look like much holding the two together in any type of correct alignment. Seems that the pump in the second trans would take a beating if misaligned.

What a joke!