HybridZ

I'm a MSnS virgin

big-phil

I've been reading diyautotune.com and learning what I can before I buy a MSnS system. I am in the middle of my Holset hy35 install, and my hudge 24x12x3 intercooler. I also have some supra 440cc injectors to throw in.

I want to go megasquirt, but I want to make sure I get the right one??I think I want to get the MS II pcb v3, and a relay board, and a stimulator?????? Is that the latest greatest version??

I want to control fuel, and spark.

man I'm so confussed some one slap me, and then tell me if this is the right choice. I'm also going to put it all together so it shoud cost about $362 minus cables, sensors, and shipping.

Thanks for any help guys.

i am in the same position you are. i have decided to go MSnS v3.0 and run the EDIS wout of various ford vehicles. BRAAP has a few really good posts regarding the ignition addition of MS. from what i have gathered, MSII is kinda like overkill and it costs more. the advertisements will tell you what they say the differences are but you gotta ask someone who has it on thier car fist. ...my $0.02...

sorry if this is a dumb question but What does the relay board do and require to delete the dash harness.

i want to do all new gauges and i just wanted to know the easiest way to go about it, and getting rid of the dash harness sounds like the way to go but i dont know what the relay board does

or do i even need it if i get a pre assembled one?

thanks

By dash harness I meant power relays to the ecu...

All the wiring from the EFI main relay to the ignition relay and fuel pump relay will be eliminated.

From what I found, it would be rather difficult to use the stock relay system, because of the way the power for the fuel pump relay runs through the afm. It can be done with the right jumper wires though and it would still require a seperate fuel pump relay.

You will still have the gauge wiring and such under the dash, just not the "power relays" for the ECU and ignition module.

Yeah, the MS-I can handle most installations. The only thing that absolutely requires an MS-II is controlling a stepper motor IAC - they're distinguished by their four wire connectors. In some cases an MS-II is easier to wire up, though.

The Megasquirt uses a couple of external relays that are not included with the kit or an assembled unit, as they're not part of the ECU itself. These are there for supplying power to the ECU, controlling the fuel pump, etc. The relay board is a preassembled mounting point for the fuses, relays, and similar components, providing an easy way to wire up the Megasquirt for a car that does not already have the necessary relays and fuses. The relay board is designed so that you can mount it under the hood, and it connects to the Megasquirt with a single cable.

Yeah, the MS-I can handle most installations. The only thing that absolutely requires an MS-II is controlling a stepper motor IAC - they're distinguished by their four wire connectors. In some cases an MS-II is easier to wire up, though.

The Megasquirt uses a couple of external relays that are not included with the kit or an assembled unit, as they're not part of the ECU itself. These are there for supplying power to the ECU, controlling the fuel pump, etc. The relay board is a preassembled mounting point for the fuses, relays, and similar components, providing an easy way to wire up the Megasquirt for a car that does not already have the necessary relays and fuses. The relay board is designed so that you can mount it under the hood, and it connects to the Megasquirt with a single cable.

Oh, so there is one cable going from the MS ecu to the relay board, then from there you run wires for the different sensors, and stuff.

So Matt you think MS 1 would be fine with the v3.0 (board?) I just need fuel, spark, and to use my Supra 440 injectors on my turbo Z.

I am in the same situation Big Phil. After all my research I decided to go MS1 PCB3.0 since it has the integrated flyback for my injectors so I don't have to go drop down resistors, and the ease of hooking my dizzy up. (I am not doing the EDIS trigger)

Relay board I think is a wise investment so you don't burn anything up. The stimulator is the only thing I didn't get since I bought mine assemblied and was already tested, also a buddy on mine has a stim if I really need to borrow it.

What I am also doing while I install the MS is installing the Maxi Fuse's to replace my burnt up fusible links. Now I have an extra one for my MS also and hopefully I can keep everything a little more organized in my engine bay.

Don't forget your WB now :))) keep me updated I haven't gotten to install my setup yet, (garage is still being built)

Oh, so there is one cable going from the MS ecu to the relay board, then from there you run wires for the different sensors, and stuff.

So Matt you think MS 1 would be fine with the v3.0 (board?) I just need fuel, spark, and to use my Supra 440 injectors on my turbo Z.

You got it. The V3.0 board is definitely a better choice for Supra injectors and spark control - I'm actually wrapping up an inline six project where I used Supra 440 cc/min injectors and spark control on a V2.2 board, and I had to put in a resistor pack (yanked it off a Toyota Cressida) to protect my flyback circuits and some wiring changes for the ignition. The V3.0 board can control those injectors without the resistors or the add-on flyback board, and has more provisions for ignition control.

I am in the same situation Big Phil. After all my research I decided to go MS1 PCB3.0 since it has the integrated flyback for my injectors so I don't have to go drop down resistors, and the ease of hooking my dizzy up. (I am not doing the EDIS trigger)

Relay board I think is a wise investment so you don't burn anything up. The stimulator is the only thing I didn't get since I bought mine assemblied and was already tested, also a buddy on mine has a stim if I really need to borrow it.

What I am also doing while I install the MS is installing the Maxi Fuse's to replace my burnt up fusible links. Now I have an extra one for my MS also and hopefully I can keep everything a little more organized in my engine bay.

Don't forget your WB now :))) keep me updated I haven't gotten to install my setup yet, (garage is still being built)

I fried my fusable links to i ve got a 83 280zx can you give me specifics on your fix including what wire goes where and part no on fuse block? It melted my enclosuer as well. Me thinks it was the stero and electic fan that did it in

I fried my fusable links to i ve got a 83 280zx can you give me specifics on your fix including what wire goes where and part no on fuse block? It melted my enclosuer as well. Me thinks it was the stero and electic fan that did it in

Here is a link that has a lot of information for what you want to do. Remeber though the install page is for a 280z. I used it as a basis for my friends car which was a 280zx but I lost the wiring diagram we used and we actually added another 2 fuse oulet to go along with it for Megasquirt and a stereo amp fuse.

http://www.hammondsplains.com/s30upgrades/maxifuse/index.htm

Here is another one (thank you atlanticz)

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html