HybridZ

Quick Camaro/Firebird questions (late nineties/early 2000's models)

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Hey all. Okay so I'm dream shopping again... seems barely a day goes by that I'm not thinking of ways to go fast for relatively cheap. I've been dreaming up low-cost Mustang builds and stuff like that for a while now... but then it hits me like a sledge hammer... I've always been more fond of the Camaro, how did I ever just 'forget' that there are plenty of cheap ones out there too??

But... I really don't know much about Camaros and their different versions. I know if I were to buy one I'd want one from the last generation and body style, so I guess like '99-02 or about there. I would also consider the gen before that, the same body style but with the different, recessed headlights.

I know I want one with a six speed and most likely the LS1 (not ruling out the LT though).

Other than that, I'm lost.

I know there were a lot of different versions, like, the Z28, SS, RS... I dont' even know what others. And that's not even counting the Firebird side, which I would just as gladly buy one of those... I love the looks of both of them.

Also, I know there were the two different V8's (I think only two?) the LS1 and LT1, which I've gathered the LS1 is 'better' in that, at least factory stock, it came with more HP, right? And was the same engine as in the corvette.

Ok, so... here's the info I need:

1. Which trim Camaro/Firebirds had the LS1 and can be had with the six speed manual? Can the LT1 be had with the six speed?

2. what HP were they rated for from the factory?

3. what is the difference between a Corvette LS1 and a Camaro LS1 that accounts for the HP difference there?

4. is there a best year or spread of years to shop?

5. assuming any Camaro/Firebird I might look at is going to be roughly 5 years old and have 50,000+ miles, what are trouble spots I need to be aware of and should look at if I find one I like?

6. How fast were they stock? 0-60 and 1/4 mile?

If I do end up getting one it will be a hold-over, really. I am just now starting to think about getting another Z to replace the 240z with L28ET I sold earlier this year... different set of issues to think about now that i've moved from CA to VA, like no smog but now safety inspections, stuff like that.

It is very possible, that if I buy a Camaro/Firebird, it will be a future-donor for my next Z car. But I really want something fun, powerful and RWD in the meantime, that I can just get in and drive and not worry about messing with it.

EDIT: checking on cars.com right now... NO SS's in my area for sale... just a few Z28's and a ton of V6's... weak.

1. '93-97 LT1, '98+ LS1; All years were optional with the T-56 6-speed. I believe the earlier T-56s ('93-'95) were rated at less power than the later ('96-'97). I don't know what LS1 T56s are rated at.

2. FWIR, stock LS1s have dynoed around 300whp, while stock LT1s were around 235rwhp - something like that. The LS1 is a completely different animal than the LT1, the heads on the LS are insane.

3. I've heard that the difference with the Vette LS1 and the Camaro LS1 lies within the PCM, and that the Camaro has more of a conservative tune. Again, these were just things I've read on the net. I don't have any personal experience with the LS1, so I would wait for some of the LSx gurus on here to chime in.

Guest bastaad525

sweet thanks... that wikipedia page answered a lot of questions for me.

I was thinking only the SS's had the LS1's and everything else was LT's... glad I'm wrong on that, so any '98+ will have what I want. That page did mention a possible power difference between the SS and Z28 but didn't say what was different on them. No big deal.

Only questions really left unanswered so far (and I'm searching around with Google to find) are acceleration numbers for stock cars, and the question of some years in that span being better than others.

The ram air on the SS didnt do much for performance, just looks. Also, the SS had more options as far as suspension and differentials.

Engines on all 98 and up Z28's and SS's are basically identical as far as performance. A few later model LS1's had the LS6 block that had better breathing between cylinders, supposedly (windage). 02 LS1's had the LS6 intake manifold, which is worth a few hp, 98's have a different program on pcm's, so the aftermarket tuners have to be bought with that in mind also.

Hey 525, nice to "hear" from ya. Hope all is going well in VA. I didn't see it mentioned yet and i'm sure you're aware but, i guess i'll throw my 2c in :) The LS1 went with an aluminum block which saves about 100lbs compared to the LT1 cast block. Wish our L6's had that option! lol.

Guest bastaad525

Heya Jersey! Yeah don't come around much anymore now that I'm Z-less. Then again... I'm not online nearly as much as I used to be. The job I was last working in CA... usually wasn't very busy so i had a lot of time to post on the forum or whatever. Now I rarely find the time. So far the move has been rough... things not coming together like we'd hoped or planned. But they are getting better slowly.

Hey Jersey how far are you from Atlantic City? We might go up there sometime soon-ish... we need a little vacation pretty bad. Maybe we could visit you while we were up there? I'd love to see your Z in person (assuming you still have it!)... I dunno if you remember but you and your Z were a huge inspiration for me when I first read the quick times you were getting at the track before you even had an intercooler, and I was trying to follow the mods you did to duplicate your performance (never quite got there!).

Anyways, you can be sure you'll be hearing from me more whenever the day comes that I get myself another Z.

So... with the Camaro LS1... can you simply reflash the PCM or get a Corvette PCM or something like that to make up the 'lost' power? That'd be sweet to know there are Corvette power levels being hidden in a detuned program. I knew they were easy to get more power out of... didn't think it'd be that easy though!

I haven't been able to find ONE SS for sale in this area... and most of the Z28's are automatics *blech*. But I'm in no hurry

Speaking from first-hand experience with a '98 LS1 out of a Camara Z28.

1) You will probably have to reflash the PSM anyway becasue you'll probably only run two 02 sensors vs the stock 4 - unless you plan on running catalytic converters.

2) The 98 LS1 was rated at 305 flywheel HP on the Z28. Mine has a K&N intake, the ECM reflashed to '02 parameters, and headers. It was dyno'd when I had the restrictive single 2 1/2" exhaust and the headers have restrictive 1 1/2" primaries. The car dyno'd at 311 rwhp. Assuming 20% drivetrain loss (used magazine articles on Corvette flywheel vs dyno results) the car is making around 390HP at the flywheel. The fact that it ran a 12.9@110 with a 2.0 second 60' on street tires weighing in at 3,100 lbs with me on board somewhat substantiates those numbers.

Guest bastaad525

still looking around.

So far, selection has been not so great... 95% of the '98+ Z28's I've seen have been automatics.

Either that, or they are really high mileage, like 80,000 miles. At 80,000 miles, I don't expect the car to be problem free.

I am getting VERY tempted to actually consider buying an automatic, as I see several of those in my price range with low miles, 30,000 ish miles. But damn I really wanted a six speed.....