HybridZ

Project goals are changing...

Part of my problem is that I don't have a garage at all, let alone a really small one. I'm working on the suspension at work right now, but I can't ever take the car apart to really do any bodywork, so until I get someplace nice to work on it, it's going to be ugly. Grumpy, if you get that big block swap done in our lifetime, I'd like to see some pics!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got my JTR manual today. Just from skimming through it, it seems very complete, I'm glad I opted to buy it before jumping into the swap. I'm thinking for cost reasons, I'll probably end up getting a boneyard Camaro T-5 tranny instead of the T-56, since a T-56 would cost me more than I've got in the whole car just to get. I don't expect I'll be making ludicrous power levels, and I don't drag race, so I imagine without the stresses of a hard launch all the time, I should be ok with a T-5. Owen graciously offered me his 383 internals, but I'm still waiting to hear back on price before I can say yeah or nay. I always wanted something with a 383, I know a guy with a NICE chevy II that has one, and his car is awesome. I just don't know how much my wife wants me to have a 383...

1: Divorce the wife

2: Buy the 383

Well, I got my JTR manual today. Just from skimming through it, it seems very complete, I'm glad I opted to buy it before jumping into the swap. I'm thinking for cost reasons, I'll probably end up getting a boneyard Camaro T-5 tranny instead of the T-56, since a T-56 would cost me more than I've got in the whole car just to get. I don't expect I'll be making ludicrous power levels, and I don't drag race, so I imagine without the stresses of a hard launch all the time, I should be ok with a T-5. Owen graciously offered me his 383 internals, but I'm still waiting to hear back on price before I can say yeah or nay. I always wanted something with a 383, I know a guy with a NICE chevy II that has one, and his car is awesome. I just don't know how much my wife wants me to have a 383...

Page 1-8 of the JTR manual, raise your hand if this is you:"Like most married men with car projects, he pays cash for most items so as not to leave evidence (receipts or cancelled checks) of his 1/4 mile addiction. He asked not to show the car for fear that his wife may somehow find out."

*edit* And divorcing the wife may get me permission to buy the 383, but do you really think I'd have any money left over to buy it?

I WAS one of you poor slobs but I...

1: Divorced the wife

2: Bought the car

Mine was a nut anyway... drove me absolutely insane:fmad:

Page 1-8 of the JTR manual, raise your hand if this is you:"Like most married men with car projects, he pays cash for most items so as not to leave evidence (receipts or cancelled checks) of his 1/4 mile addiction. He asked not to show the car for fear that his wife may somehow find out."

The money... it depends on how messed up the wife is. You may have little or no attorney fees and no loss of funds. Mine was a nut case... very painful during the marriage:banghead: :willy_nil:bonk: but the divorce was easy and painless:mrgreen: And oh... what a feeling of FREEDOM:rockon: :cheers:

*edit* And divorcing the wife may get me permission to buy the 383, but do you really think I'd have any money left over to buy it?

My wife is great, but her first exposure to car building was through a ricey guy that was more concerned with pedal covers and flashing lights, so she doesn't really appreciate the sleeper. Or the bondo bucket. She's not an adrenaline junky type, so it's hard to justify speed increases when the car is kind of busted looking (although she did say the camo ZZZap! paint job looks better than the flat black, and she loves the way the blue Q45 z-car from www.zparts.com looks).

Most women care more about appearance and reliability than brut force... until after midnight:mrgreen:

My wife is great, but her first exposure to car building was through a ricey guy that was more concerned with pedal covers and flashing lights, so she doesn't really appreciate the sleeper. Or the bondo bucket. She's not an adrenaline junky type, so it's hard to justify speed increases when the car is kind of busted looking (although she did say the camo ZZZap! paint job looks better than the flat black, and she loves the way the blue Q45 z-car from www.zparts.com looks).

Now that's cool... you da' MAN!!!:mrgreen:

LOL, to tell you the truth is nicer than mine and seems almost as big. House is only 1440 sq ft but its a story and a half garage is 576 sq ft.

Now that's cool... you da' MAN!!!:mrgreen:

I had to do something. My dining room and living room are so full of car parts I can barely get around. I haven't seen the top of my dining room table in months! The present garage has my work bench, one disassembled engine, the engine stand and hoist taking up pretty much of one side and the Z lives on the other along with the radial arm, lawn mower and too many old Datsun parts. The truck now lives outside, bummer and there's a 1994 Z28 (donor car) under a tarp in the back yard. It should be obvious I am not married anymore either, LOL

Welcome to the brotherhood of Nonaggin:mrgreen:

I had to do something. My dining room and living room are so full of car parts I can barely get around. I haven't seen the top of my dining room table in months! The present garage has my work bench, one disassembled engine, the engine stand and hoist taking up pretty much of one side and the Z lives on the other along with the radial arm, lawn mower and too many old Datsun parts. The truck now lives outside, bummer and there's a 1994 Z28 (donor car) under a tarp in the back yard. It should be obvious I am not married anymore either, LOL

posted by deja: It should be obvious I am not married anymore either, LOL

I was wondering about that. :wink: Sounds like my old apartment.

Well, I just finished the JTR manual (its been a really slow day at work today), and it was super informative. Some things I'll need to search for are if anyone is using a stock 280z pump to run a TPI setup (jtr manual mentions tpi being around 45psi, and the injectors are supposedly either 19lbs on a 305(n/a l28) and 22lbs on a 350(turbo l28), which is about the same as the Z-although the tpi is barely mentioned, as they sell a whole other manual about that, which I don't think I'll need since I'll not be using any factory computer equipment with mine) and if anyone is using a single turbo 350, I'd be curious to see what you did for turbo manifolds.

• Administrators
I'm thinking for cost reasons, I'll probably end up getting a boneyard Camaro T-5 tranny instead of the T-56, since a T-56 would cost me more than I've got in the whole car just to get.

V,

If I'm reading you correctly, you're gonna put a T5 behind a boosted 383? Risky at best, in my opinion... even for a World Class T5.

I'm not sure it's going to be a 383, I haven't heard from Owen yet on how much he wants for his stuff. For now I'm operating under the premise that it will be a built to stock spec 350 with 6-7 psi intercooled boost. What hp/torque would you estimate to be the guaranteed failure point of a t-5? Is there some other junkyard available 5 speed that would work better? I know that the t-56 is the end all, but it just isn't in the cards to throw that much at one for me any time soon, and I won't do it with an automatic. I've got an open R200 on the car already.

• Administrators
I'm not sure it's going to be a 383, I haven't heard from Owen yet on how much he wants for his stuff. For now I'm operating under the premise that it will be a built to stock spec 350 with 6-7 psi intercooled boost.

Still pretty questionable my friend.

What hp/torque would you estimate to be the garaunteed failure point of a t-5? Is there some other junkyard available 5 speed that would work better? I've got an open R200 on the car already.

Obviously, a lot depends on how you drive, tires, LSD, etc. There are people here that can answer that question with more authority than I. I think I'd start getting nervous with much over 375 ft/lbs assuming reasonable bite. Keep in mind future goals... You may not have sticky tires and an LSD NOW but its on your long term list right?