HybridZ

Cable Clutch in a 79 zx??

1979 500zx

Has anyone ever tried to put the cable clutch assembly out of...say a 1986 5.0 mustang in their zx? i've looked at the assembly and it looks like it would be an easy swap if you had the right tools...im asking because i'm trying to build the cheapest car possible...and something that would be easy to get parts for in the future...i already bought a 1979 280zx for 250.00 and i got a running 86' mustang for 250.00! i think i can break a record here if i do it right...anyway i'm just wondering if anyone has done a swap like this before.

Well I took the pedal assy out of my first 77 280Z and got the pedal assy and power brake booster from a 91 Mustang. I took the pedals off , then I cut both in half, then I used the booster to mark the holes, I drilled and then mounted the Mustang half, then the 280Z half. I got some small strips of metal around the same gauge, clamped it in place and tack welded it in the car. Then I pulled it out and finished welding it. It works great, like it came that way. My wife got the car at an auction for $5.00 without a title. I done that conversion about 4 years ago before I found this wonderful site. Now I've got one with a title and getting to do the swap on that one.

If you can get a peddle assy from a 94 & up Mustang, the way its made. I beleive it would be easier to make the conversion with. Just looking at the pictures on Ebay. They are square just past the peddles and you would not have to cut it off, just the Z cross member. Measure both, then cut the Z one.

Yes , I took both of them and made one. After I painted it, it looked like it came from the factory. I measured the Z cross member or what ever its called, then lined them up and cut both and made one. It was cofusing to me at first, until I set down and thought about it. Since you have the whole car, and you are good at fabing things up, you might be able to use the Mustang steering column by adding some metal to the cross member, to attach it to the dash. I would have done that if I had the whole car to work with. Good luck, its not hard to do.

I finally got a chance to get the peddal assy out of the car. It was more to it than I remembered. The steering column and tach had to come out. I have another 280Z crossmember and Mustang crossmember that I will get pictures of, with the one that I modifided, so you can compare them. I'll get them on as soon as I can. My work has picked up. It makes it hard to get things done, but the extra money is good. Got to run now.

It took me a little while to figure it out. And I didn't know about this site to get help from. We have to thank Mike for getting them posted to this tread. I'm just glad that it will help you and others in the future. I'm going to go ahead and make another, since I have two cars. My problem now is time, since my work is like a roller coaster right now. Its all or nothing.