HybridZ

voltage regulator other ?'s

nategdizzle

i was just wondering if the voltage regulator on the passenger side fender well is needed if i get a new alternator with one in it..i wasnt sure on what it regulated voltages for, everything or is it wired into just the lights or what. i am trying to clean up my engine bay while i have my engine out and am repainting it. also i have been looking at pictures of turbo 280s to see what changes i need to make to my engine bay so far i have made a pocket in my fender well for my 3in charge pipe to my turbo..is there anything else i need to do before i paint to make everything fit?

Search for alternator upgrades. An 280ZX 60 amp internal regulated alternator can be mounted directly. The external voltage regulator can then be removed. You'll need to install a couple of jumpers in the harness connector that attached to that external regulator to complete the upgrade. Jumper the white wire to the yellow wire. Also get a 1N5402 diode at Radio Shack (3 amp/ 200 volt) to install between the white/black wire and the black/white wire. The white banded end of the diode goes to the white/black wire. The diode is needed to prevent the engine from running after you turn the key to off.