HybridZ

update on the TT350

dr_hunt

Well, this and that, this and that. Figured I'd better pressurize the fuel lines to make sure I don't have leaks, fire it with the carb bonnet off and the turbo's compressors not hooked up, just to make sure it runs, has oil pressure, you know minor things. :icon10:

Had everything hooked up, cranked it, it sounded weird, not firing right, but only like on 3 cyl. Checked everything, played with the dizzy rotation on timing. Finally got it to fire, still like on maybe 4 cyl max hitting, rpm on tach showing about 1000 but the engine only barely turning over, then it died completely. Check for spark, none, Hmmmm MSD box? :-(

I never checked it when I got it used off ebay.

Well, sorry to say I got burned, it doesn't work, even when I manually test it, no spark, it died! It's set up for 8cyl operation but I got a non-working box to start with. :cry:

So, you win some you loose some. :cry:

Not worth the hassle, just send it back to MSD and pay them to fix it, faster, cheaper, IMO.

We'll see, maybe something else crapped out. Well, come to think if it that couldn't be because the coil had juice and that comes from the MSD box so the MSD was getting juice otherwise the coil wouldn't be getting any. Will have to check both hot wires on the msd, won't take a minute, then if as suspected off it goes to MSD.

I thought of the msd box in the pinks car but it was setup for 6cyl so that wouldn't work. Tested the MSD box this AM, has juice, no spark when doing the MSD test for magnetic pickup. So it has to be the box.

Smoky burnout pic's, vids, sound???? What do you guys think I am a movie producer?!!!

Maybe when I get it all going. I have some other small issues I have to deal with, probably going to be awhile before it gets going.

Time to get a RMA number from MSD and ship it off.

Actually the only thing setting up a msd box for a cylinder is change the output for the tach. It does nothing on the inside or so says MSD Tech that I asked a few months ago. So you can run the MSD box on your 8 no problems just if you hook a tach to it, it will not be correct. But all you have to do is take the cover off the box and reconnect the cut wire and you are good to go.

That's good information, the problem I have is that it doesn't belong to me, it's larry's and I'd rather just have my own stuff, kind of the way I am. Makes life simpler if you have your own and not borrowing other things, because IME it breaks as soon as you use it and you end up buying 2 instead of 1.

I called MSD, they verified over the phone that the box was likely in "need of repair". Cost is min of $30 and a max of $99. I guess when it's too far gone they just send you a new one.

Soooooooooo, I guess I'll ship it off and wait 10 working days to get it back. :shock:

Lovely, I just love MSD. :roll:

The only thing I've had good luck with from MSD are Blaster coils. I got a used 6al from a guy, and of course it didn't work (although he claimed it worked when removed from a car). Also I bought a brand new 6 series with the boost retard feature that was bad out of the box. No matter how badly I want to use MSD, I have to keep reminding myself of these failures before I spend the money...