HybridZ

5 speed rebuild

mom'sZ

I have a 5 speed that I purchased in pieces, it's all there. I have the FSM and think I might could swing it myself. If someone knows a shop in the SE (I'm in florida) that is very good with them, I'd pay a pro to do it. I also have a friend, who I trust, who is a tranny guy, he said 'no problem'. I'd like to find a shop that 'specializes' in zcar trannies and can do the roll pins in the shift forks and basically blueprint the tranny. I would need more then one done ah.. also.

Question two: an online (or otherwise) source for a rebuild kit. nissan? I've searched the forum, found a thread where Jon said he got one at his work. I want bearings as well as syncros, seals gasket. I know how to get the roll pins for the shifter forks. If I let my guy do it, I want to bring him everything he needs.

Mine was an "RPM Super Kit" that I got through the Volvo dealer I worked for many years ago.

One other option on the roll pins is to keep the stock ones and run safety wire through them. I got that trick from Dennis Hale, he said that the issue with the stock roll pins isn't that they shear off, its that they slide out under vibration.

....Question two: an online (or otherwise) source for a rebuild kit..

http://www.drivetrain.com/nissian4_5sprwd.html

Re: Bent roll pins for the shifter forks:

The easiest and best way to fix the roll pin issue is to “double pin†them. What you do is to replace the roll pins with new ones and then drive another (smaller) roll pin through the center of the outside roll pin.

If you want a real expert to rebuild your tranny then send it to the Z Barn. The guy who rebuilds their trannys has done over 250 Nissan 5-speeds ones and he really knows the problems and the corresponding fixes.

• 2 weeks later...