HybridZ

Toyota Brake up grade

I believe you can use the 4 lug 300Zx rotors, with minor shimming IF you have the 240Z hubs (thinner wheel mounting flange). Do a "search" for front brakes and you will find more info than you could read through in one night. You will also find other options and opinions on what to use. Money, resources, and objective account for a lot of variations in Z brakes.

I did this upgrade last year. You need 4 bolt (1984) 300ZX non-turbo rotors. They will need to be cut down in diameter about 1/8". You will need spacers made, the thickness depends on which "hats" your car has, there about 4 different dimension combo's out there. I did a mock up using large washers then asked a friend with a machine shop to fabricate from the mock up. It fit perfect 1st try. I'm in the San Gabriel Valley if you want to have a look sometime.

theres only 2 different hubs.

70-74 and 75-78

there is a approx a 8mm difference in thickness between them.

i have pics online. to show the differences.

i dont think a vented rotor works in a solid caliper too well- at least not with new pads and new rotors - maybe with used rotors as they will be thinner.

and the OD of the rotor is fine as is, no need to turn them down

SCCA brings up a good point. As far as my personal experience goes, The 300ZX rotors need to be turned down IF using the 280ZX front calipers (floaters). With Toyota calipers this may not be necessary. The Z hubs may have only 2 versions. Then you can add at least one more different thickness with the 280ZX hubs which are also useable on the Z spindle. If the caliper was originally set up with a solid rotor, forget using it with the vented rotors (unless you want to go to all the trouble of machining a spacer placed between both halves of the caliper). I don't know which year Toyota calipers came from vented systems, but these would be the ones needed. Also, with the non-floating calipers (i.e the 4 piston Toyotas) you will need wheel spacers if you are going to use the 300ZX rotors because the rotor hat is designed for floater calipers which are much narrower on the outside (wheel side) in comparison to the 4 pucks. Thus the hat is narrower. I can't remember the spacing needed, I think it was around .75" to 1.00"

quote:

Originally posted by Trevor:

Will the '85 - '85 300ZX 4-bolt hub fit the 70-78 spindle?

sure all Z31 front hubs bolt on, but offset and rotor placement is different hence the alterations required for brakes. But why bolt on a 4 bolt hub? Just bolt that rotor on your Z hub if you don't want 5lug. All in Mike Kelly's tech article on this web (but not always working) & on www.zcar.com I think......others have written it up as well (Z31 front rotor on Zhubs). Same rotor I'll use with my alum. 4 piston caliper bolt on 4 or 5 lug package coming available in the not too distant future

icon_cool.gif

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Ross C ]

For the ventilated rotor conversion on my 77 260Z using Toyota 4 spots, I used Peugeot rotors from a 80's 504, 405 or 505 or something from memory. The ID has to be opened up and new holes to match the hubs drilled. But the ID is ok and they align to within about half one mm with the calipers so no spacers needed.