HybridZ

Need help with 77 Z fuel pump..anything else work

CarolinaZ

Does anyone know of another fuel pump that will work on a 77 Z..mine apparently is gone..dont have 200.00 + for a new one..will anything else fit as well as work..thats less expensive..

Just redid all the hoses on the fuel rail as well as the ones to the injectors..in fact all hoses from top to bottom, vaccum lines , fuel lines , radiator, heater..you name it I replaced them

The car has been sitting for approx 6 weeks , when I am trying to start it I dont hear the fuel pump coming on..it used to run when you shut the motor off as well as you could hear it when you started the car..now nothing ..the car tries to fire..there is fuel in the lines , dont know if thats the return line or the line coming in but no noise at all from the fuel pump..

Help...like I said right now I need something less expensive than 200.00..any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

And yes there is a brand new battery in the car as well..so its got enough amps to activate the pump..or I would think so..

Help.....

and thanks

I've had no problems with "Master" branded pumps from Autozone. They are around $100. There may be better pumps for that price. I've got them on all four 280Z's, with a Fram G3 inline filter between the tank and the pump.

You don't say if you checked for 12V at the fuel pump. Pumps don't seem to go bad near as often as fuse links (corrosion), bad AFM connectors, wiring and relays.

See "Fuel Pump Control Information" on this page: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuelpump/index.html

Thanks will ck out the relays etc..was going to do that as well ..seemed odd that it just suddenly "quit"..will ck the electrical and thanks for the pics and info on AutoZone..my son has a good friend who is a mgr at a location close by will talk to him about it as well..who knows might get a little discount ..but again thanks for all the info.

You can get a fuel pump for much cheaper then $200, but I would diagnose for the acctual problem first before throwing parts at it. specially scince you don't have cash. It's much cheaper to diagnose correctly, than throw parts at a car. Start by putting a fuel pressure gauge on it. If you still have no pressure make sure it is clear from the tank forward. You can always jumper the pump to test it. Good luck.

Thanks , will do and thanks guys for the helpful info..am going to ck everything real well before I go the replacement route..seems to me that if it was working ok prior to putting all the hoses on it that just due to sitting for six weeks wouldnt have messed it up..thinking of corrosion..the car did sit out in some rainy weather..considering that the car is a daily driver , up until the fuel hose deal and now this , that would in my mind have kept things possibly dryer than sitting out then just air drying without any air flow under the car as would be the case when driving..probably reaching way out there on that one but ckng the electricals etc makes more sence than just throwing on a new one when a new one might not be needed..thanks again .

• 2 weeks later...

Wire under the dash on the right side was split in two pieces. Rewired that and it started with no effort at all. in fact it was really funny , i barely had the ignition switch turned and it fired..it idles alost as smoothly as before I took the fuel rail apart and re hosed it..but now when you give it the gas its really rough..in fact there was one slight backfire..just letting it idle at this point..any suggestions or ideas..

Thanks guys as always for the help ..darned glad I didnt just buy a fuel pump when all it apparaently is was a wire that was split.