HybridZ

CAD/CAM models of 280ZX available anywhere?

Guest avriette

Guest avriette

I am interested in working in AutoCAD to do some aerodynamic work on a 280ZX chassis (the one I'm planning either an SR20 or an RB26 for). The problem is, I can't seem to find any models. I've got the software and the hardware setup for it (Alienware), but I can't obviously do the whole initial model by hand. Or, at least, it would be exceptionally tedious.

Points I'm focusing on:

Air dam

Canards

front, rear, and mid underbody diffusers

rear wing with gurney flaps

side air ducting (including brake cooling)

I could do this with Fluent, too, but I don't have the $$$ for the software (I'm just trying to make a faster Z, not a faster F-22!). So, I'm doing most of this by instinct, and a lot of it by technical manuals on aerodynamics.

The 280ZX is a pretty hard car to work with to start with, with the sloping hatch instead of a sharp "trunk" upon which to put a wing. But, Electromotive managed to do pretty well with one.

After I get the pieces laid out in CAD, I'd like to give them to a shop and have them fab them in fiber or thermoplastic (yeah, yeah, $$$), and build a body around a rigid subframe. Power output is expected to be between 450-600hp at the rear wheels, with exceptional onset of boost (big turbo, big lag, but lots of horse).

So anyone know where I can find models of a 280ZX (or even a 72-78 Z) for AutoCAD?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

(btw: AZ Zcar has fibreglass parts for these cars, but they're not for aero, they're for weight. I want a car that sucks to the ground and doesn't necessarily hit 200mph. I want it to corner like it's glued to the ground)

please be aware that both models on that site look to be 2+2's.

not a problem for me, because that is what I have (THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!) so having this will make some nice, informed decisions about what I am going to do on the Bonneville car!

BTW, 226mph has been done in a 280ZXT Coupe in a one-way run at Bonneville in the early 90's. I believe Jkurz will have more stimulating details about what happened on that run... So aerodynamically, the vehicle is pretty stable.

Guest avriette

not a problem for me, because that is what I have (THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!) so having this will make some nice, informed decisions about what I am going to do on the Bonneville car!

BTW, 226mph has been done in a 280ZXT Coupe in a one-way run at Bonneville in the early 90's. I believe Jkurz will have more stimulating details about what happened on that run... So aerodynamically, the vehicle is pretty stable.

My plans aren't really for a 2+2 since the shell I'm using is a coupe. I figure the hard part about the back of the car is going to be putting a wing on it, since there's not much material behind the glass. A double-wing combined with a rear splitter at the top of the windshield (take a look at a new Mitsubishi Evo or a Subaru STI for an idea of what I'm talking about).

The skirts, dam, splitters, canards, and diffusers should probably fit all 280ZX models, and I imagine with a little creativity could be stuck onto the pre-79 cars.

As far as speed, I had a terrible time with my 82 Turbo. 115mph was a little scary, the back felt like it was floating. The faster it went, the more it hunkered down though. I suspect this is because of the force of the air on the front of the car (it has a substantial front profile). Note I also had Tokico Illuminas and Eibach ERS, so the car was I think 1.5" lower than normal. At any rate, it was no fun whatsoever between 90 and 120. By the time you got to 150, it got more stable. I eventually ran out of gear in fifth. At the time, I think this was calculated to be 177mph. Fast enough for me.

To me, this whole project is just a really fun way to use Fluent and AutoCad. I work on supercomputers for a living at places that run Fluent on the clusters to, say, improve the wing structure of the JSF. I never thought I'd get to play with it myself. :D

By the by, the 280ZX does not lend itself well to these sorts of modifications and may wind up one ugly ass vehicle (provided I can afford to have somebody fab them for me). The wing on the back would have to be at least 3' high to be effective. I suppose getting around the course faster in a strange looking Z is better than getting around the course slower in a showcar. We'll see. I'm also not planning to really retain any of the streetability (headlamps may go away for example).

Guest avriette

Oh, I forget to mention. Lots of aero that provides downforce means more drag. While you'll stick to the ground, it's a lot harder to go faster. There's a great episode of Best Motoring where they run a time attack in a R34. They get consistent times, and then take the underbody diffusers off the car to see if they can get more speed out of it. They got several seconds more speed out of the car but the driver refused to do another lap without the diffusers. The car was just too unstable.

I have done the suspension on my Z with coilovers with 225/250lb springs and illuminas all the way around. Also poly bushings except for the T/C rod. The improvements that that made helped big time. I am now starting to work on my aero improvements. I have a splitter cut out that goes back to the engine cradle crossmember. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do for side skirts and rear diffuser. I think for sie skirts I'll use some thick rubberand once I get my fuel cell mounted I'll then do the diffuser at the rear. Also putting the exhaust out of the diffuser airflow so that the car doesn't lift at shift points.

I am robably going to be widening the body on my Z by 2" on each side and use the space inbetwen the panels to flow air from the engine bay and exit at the back of the car.