HybridZ

someone PLEASE convince me to stay L6!!!

OlderThanMe

Want my driveline? hehehe I'll take a v8 driveline for a swap! There is no way I could find a decent v8 around my neck of the woods. They get scooped up wayyyy too fast.

BTW I considered a v8 swap initially, but got stopped pretty quick by a lack of 5spd trannies. I called every scrap yard within 50 miles, and I live smack in the middle of a major muscle car area. Not one tranny. found lots of rusted Z31 turbo's though. I got a running one (it was a daily driver, and the guy drove it to my house) for $600.00! I bought another low mileage rusted out z31 turbo for $400.00 (still have it)

VG30ET

Lightweight

midship mounting

loads of torque.

Don't see many around.

Scott.

Hmm... there is a fairly complete Z31t drivetrain at the local yard... for like $200...

The thought of a VG has crossed my mind before.

Maybe I could build a front mount or top mount turbo setup...hmm...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get a 5.3, or a 6.0 LQ out of a Chevy or GMC truck. They are basically a LS engine with an iron block instead of an aluminum one. You can find them alot cheaper than the LS engines. Yank the tall LQ intake off, and put an aftermarket FAST or similar LS6 intake on it.

Just get a 5.3, or a 6.0 LQ out of a Chevy or GMC truck. They are basically a LS engine with an iron block instead of an aluminum one. You can find them alot cheaper than the LS engines. Yank the tall LQ intake off, and put an aftermarket FAST or similar LS6 intake on it.

OK... one of the local yards has an LQ with 31k miles for a grand. Came from a Durango.

The LQ heads supposedly have the same intake and exhaust runners as the LS6 head but have a larger combustion chamber. (Better for a turbo? Easier to get lower compression.)

It seems most of them came with an auto trans though.

Will a T56 bolt up?

The LQ4 is a 6 liter making 300hp to 330hp with a CR of 9.41:1 and 71cc combustion chambers. Sounds promising...

If it is out of a durango, it is probably a mopar 5.9 (360). Not the same thing. A T-56 of the correct year will work with the correct bell housing, and flywheel. Something about the imput shaft lengths are different on some of the LS equiped t56's.

The stock lq9 (later 6.0) came with 345hp, and 380lb torque from the factory. People are getting close to 500hp out of them NA with little mods (cam, ecm tune, and exhaust). My truck has the lq4 (earlier 6.0) and came with a hp rating of 325, and 360 lb of torque. It woke up considerably when I took off the huge suitcase muffler, and put in a Flowmaster, and air intake on it. I am thinking I will be putting one of these in my Z. I can only imagine how it would do considering it moves my 6000+lb truck pretty well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys... I'm going to pick up a VH45DE sometime this week. I'm having a hard time deciding on what tranny to hook to it though. I could do a Z32 tranny with adapter for the cost of a T56 tranny alone. The T56 is a better tranny but it costs way more and I don't think there are any guys making the adaptor plate/spacer to order right now. Mazworx (sp?) has the VH45DE-Z32 tranny adapter with machining for $450.

The local u-pull-it has a 91 VH45 for like $200 with a warranty. If it is too far gone when opening it up I can exchange it with the other VH45 at the yard.

The plan is to get it in the car and running and then once the swap is done and the car drives to pull the motor, build with 8.x:1 compression pistons and begin some turbo headers.

G2G!

OTM/Dan