HybridZ

can you put two air compressors together for better cfm?

roninjiro

I totally agree with Racer X on this one.

You'll need to T both of the compressors together to give you more CFM and more capacity. You may run into proublems with your electrical grid in your garage with both the small compressors going at once. I would do lots of testing before being commited to the paint job and finding out it blows the breaker every few minuites.

You guys are confusing me.

If he hooks two complete compressors side by side, then he will get more CFM and be able to run air tools longer without running down the pressure.

Do a search. IIRC Grumpyvette posted a diagram of the two compressor set up he used for years.

Tank capacity will only affect how often the pump has to turn on and off. But the sustained rate of air flow is determine by the HP and CFM ratings of the motor and compressor.

Ron:

There are several factors to consider here: If you have a smaller compressor you are limited from the get. However, you can overcome most of your problems by doing it in pieces and stages. Obviously, your usage time is very limited. Adding an auxiliary tank will certainly help. But, your small compresser will work twice as hard. You can change the orphis on your gun, use an HVLP gravity feed type gun, which will not suck as much air as a conventional quart pot siphon gun. By working will smaller areas or pieces, yes there is more dis and reassembly, but you benifit by concentrating on one piece at a time. Your working time is limited but so is the area you are painting. Just take your time and don't rush. Allow your compressor to work for you not against you. Another problem with using a smaller compressor is the amout of moisture it produces. You will definately need to use a water trap and drain it periodically. Also, an inline air filter just prior to your gun is a good idea also. It's considerably more work and time with a smaller compressor...but, it can be done. Remember, before you start a large area like your hood, or quarters, to start off with a full tank of air.

Alternative is to check out your local automotive paint dealer, or body shops, as sometimes you can rent their booth, which accomplishes several things. You now have a relative clean place to shoot, with the proper air and filter supply, and they might even give you some tips on shooting it. Its worth a try. Good luck.

VAN

didnt mean for any disagreements, but this is how my mind is thinking, 1. you can do it in piece (might do) or 2. you can add storage volume ; or 3. the also the iffy two compressor motors w/ two tanks lined together. its just that im broke and option one seems about right for me.