HybridZ

PowerBrute LSD won't fit

Zmanco

I'm trying to install the Powerbrute LSD in my r180 and I'm unable to get the lsd assembly to go into the diffy housing with the ring gear attached. If I remove the ring gear, then I can just barely get it in. I've tried leaving the ring gear loose but no go.

I keep thinking there must be some other approach to take that will work, but so far I haven't been able to find it. What am I missing here?

It's hitting on the outer edge of the ring gear against the inside of the case. But even if I get it past there, it looks like the lsd cover will hit against the inside of the hole for the bearing holders (not sure of their proper name).

I tried shooting a few pictures, but it was rather hard to see the problem.

• Administrators

I remember, when I installed my Nismo LSD, I ended up pressing one of the bearings on after inserting the center section. There may be a better way, but at the time, it seemed the most appropriate.

That's a good idea Ron, but if he already pressed the bearings on, it's going to be tough to get them back off without a special tool. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to do some light grinding on the case. Zmanco, you should see what they do to Ford 9" cases to fit lower gears in them...

They go in the way they stay in, there is no room to rotate. I would assume that since he showed pictures of where he had to grind he got it done. That grinding in the pictures looks very mild and I wouldn't hesitate to do something similar on a diff of my own if it was necessary, for what that is worth.

Mark, the non-ring gear end goes in first and then the whole thing rotates clockwise. In my case before I ground the case a little, the ring gear was hitting the left side of the case. The last picture I posted showed the 2 spots I had to grind. Does that clear it up?

Mark, the non-ring gear end goes in first and then the whole thing rotates clockwise. In my case before I ground the case a little, the ring gear was hitting the left side of the case. The last picture I posted showed the 2 spots I had to grind. Does that clear it up?

Thanks for the education. I've only delt with r-200s and they go straight in. Good luck with your project.

Since I had to take the "strap lock" off again (they are the 4 pieces of metal that act like a washer for the 8 ring gear bolts and which you bend the edges up against the bolt heads so they can't back out), I need to replace them. My CD shows a part number of 38103-78500, but even Courtesy Nissan doesn't list it, nor do I get any hits with google.

Any suggestions for how/where to replace them?