HybridZ

Car trouble...Don't know whats wrong

Yorgee

I drove my car to school this morning, got out of class an hour later, drove to cosco to get something to eat. Car was running fine. But when I went to start it up and head home, it started but then slowly stopped idling as I pulled out of the parking spot. Then my car did not want to start. It cracks and everything so I know its not the battery. The wierd thing is, if i pull the choke cable all the way the car starts up so I know its not the fuel pump. But as soon as I put the choke down and engine just dies. What do you guys think is the problem.

Sounds like a clogged idle jet. Something stopped allowing the fuel through the idle jet in the proper amount therefore it would idle lean and then not idle at all because there's not enough fuel. Pulling the choke helps because you're cutting down the amount of air and allowing the fuel air to balance out. I had this problem with my riding mower earlier this summer. I know there's more to a Z carb, but the principle is the same.

Yeah, I had to play around with the carbs for a while and now its starting up fine.Then I just pulled the spark plugs this morning and they were fulllll of carbon. The SU's haven't been running right for a while which sucks since its a rebuilt engine. Hopefully once the DGV webers I bought come in, I'll be able to adjust those correctly and not have this problem again. But thanks guys for your responses, thanks for the help. I'm just glad it wasn't a vacuum leak Pop n Wood. My brother had one in his mustang and he had to tear apart the engine after having put on new heads and an intake manifold. He did all that work and it just ended up being a bad intake gasket that wasn't sealing. I did not want to have to do that...