HybridZ

QWKDTSN will be coming out from under its cover again

I haven't posted here in years, but I owe more than I can ever express to this site. When I joined the US Coast Guard in early '04, I put my '71 V8Z under a cover.

A wise move, because I ended up getting stationed in Alaska. My dad was kind enough to drive the car for me every couple of weeks to run fresh fuel through it and get the oil hot. When I came home in summer '05 on my way to A-school, I drove the car every day, and it was a total blast. Ran like I'd never left it behind - once I'd aired up the flat left tire, of course.

However, only a month into my A-school class, my dad died. He was killed in an accident in his experimental aircraft that he'd been flying for longer than I've been alive. When I came home for his funeral, I drove the car again, but it's been well over a year. I was too distraught to really take care of the car when I was at home, and much to my regret, I didn't get a chance to put fuel stabilizer in it, drain the carburetor, or unhook the battery.

It's been in storage for a year, under a cover, and needs some LOVIN'! San Diego HybridZ owners - I'm callin' you out! This holiday season QWKDTSN is coming back out of hiding to prowl the streets again. If there's anyone out there that would be generous enough to come by and give me a hand getting the car out of storage, up and running properly, and back on the road again with a clean carb, fresh gas and clean oil, I'll be buying the beers.

Going for drives is always better when you've got another Zcar with you :D I've been away from home for a long time and would honestly love to meet up with other HybridZ owners in the San Diego area to check out one another's cars and get out on the road. My car still needs some shakedown time!

403453_8_full.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks!! The car is pretty basic but I have gone through pretty much everything to make it a good street car.

Engine is a rebuilt 2-bolt hi-nickel 350 with forged pistons, cam, hi-tension valve springs, roller rockers, Holley 650dp carb. Standard heads, coated block huggers, MSD 6AL with 6krpm rev limiter. It makes a very modest 251 rear wheel hp and 309 lb-ft of torque.

Exhaust is a true dual 2.5" with an X-pipe and MAC mufflers.

Tranny is a T-5 running back to a 300ZX 3.7 R200 LSD.

Fuel system consists of a 16gallon fuel cell in a box replacing the spare tire well, Holley blue fuel pump, and full aviation braided line and AN fittings from the fuel cell to the float bowls.

Rebuilt the suspension with Eibach coilovers on shortened strut bodies, Koni 5-way struts, front and rear swaybars, rear strut brace, full polyurethane bushings. It has 15" 300ZX wheels under a stock body with the exception of a front air dam.

Full interior with new carpets, dash cap, Prelude seats, full Autometer Phantom gauge package in stock locations...

More pics of the car and a full list of details can be seen at my Cardomain site (link in sig).

I bought this car when I was 16 (22 now) and built it up during high school and the time after I dropped out of college and before I joined the military. The V8 swap has less than a thousand miles on it. I bought the car for $1900 in stock form from a very nice woman, it was a one-family car bought new by her father in 1970 and passed on first to her brother, who did a basic restoration in '85, then on to her. She was really sad to let it go, and I regret that I haven't had a chance to show her how radically I've changed her 'little red Z'. I'm not sure if she'd have a fit with what I've done to it or be happy that the car is still very much loved and taken care of!

I did all of the work myself. My dad helped. I'll treasure those memories and the few photos we took of ourselves working on it forever. Most of the time I was too stubborn to let him really help, so he mostly gave moral support. I wanted to do everything myself. The only thing I didn't personally do was the fabrication of the exhaust and a session of dyno tuning.

403453_1_full.jpg

403453_4_full.jpg

Welcome Back NION, Glad to hear of another one coming out of hiding.

Condolences regarding your father. I lost my father to cancer in April 06. He never got a chance to see my car on the road, but he was inspirational to me in getting it done. Made it's maiden 1400 mile voyage going to and from his funeral. Kinda has a special meaning to only me for that reason alone, as well as many others. I did all of the mechanicals on my car as well as most of the bodywork myself, so I know where you're coming from.

Drive it with PRIDE, and remember your father every time you do. I know I do.

Warren

Hey man, sorry to hear about your dad. Mine has always been an insperation with my mechanical work. Thats a very nice looking Z you got. I've got a '79 280zx, and I've got a LT1/t-56 waiting in my garage. If you need some advice or something on giving some TLC, or whatever, drop me a line. I've been in the Navy since '98, and am now stationed out here in Whales V@gin@:D . It's a blast.

Hey guys, thanks so much for the kind comments I can't wait to get home and work on the car. As of right now I know it needs:

-new gas

-carburetor possibly cleaned out

-oil change

-new rad. fan or rewired rad. fan

-new solution for flexing rear diff mount... Will temporarily ratchet-strap to crossmember

-air in all tires

-possibly jump-start, trickle-charge, or replace battery

-good wash and wax :)