HybridZ

hey im new, with a crazy idea

Guest mr_duder

Guest mr_duder

hey every one, im new. i have a '93 nissan pick-up and i want to swap the base v6 thats in it now for a vg30dett. id also like to get about 400-500hp out of it. i think this would be a very cool and crazy hybrid, and id love to hear some suggestions(id also like to know how much it'll cost) id apreciate any help you can give and i hope i can lend a helping hand along the way too. thanks.

you can find a little info from some guys over at nissancustoms.com and the soon to be ressurected site of nissanminis.com. I do know that you have to notch the frame for clearance of the turbochargers and or relocate them via custom manifolds. It is entirely possible but its not gonna be cheap and is gonna require some fabrication. Luckily the motor mounts are the same though and most fab work will be in the exhaust routing and intercooler piping. peace.

Guest mr_duder

thanx dude, i appreciate that, its a good thing i have a contact for cheap exhaust work at a muffler shop, its gonna be a long expensive build but i think it'll be worth it, i think it'll be sick, anyway thanx again

You should actually just keep the stock engine in there and turbo it. The VG30E(T)'s are incredible engines. They'll handle a ton of power and would actually be cheaper to build up than the VG30DETT as the cost of the DETT alone is quite high.

Check out http://www.redz31.com for a ton of info on the VG30E(T). I think in the long run you would be much more pleased with it.

The VG30DETT is definitely an awesome engine... but the VG30E(T) is one as well. I personally believe the VG30E(T) is a little more reliable than the DETT as well.

Either way though, its all up to you... what you want. I'd just search around for info on both engines and go from there. That'd be the best way.

Guest mr_duder

thanx all, i was also wondering if i keep my current engine, could i still put the dohc heads on it, will it bolt up? sure i could turbo it, but id also like to have the dual cams if possible?

No the DOHC heads wont fit. They are very diffrent engines.

I think it'd be cool to use the T22 turbo's off the DETT engine on the sohc engine. They arent that much diffrent.

Its really not needed, the SOHC can perform great as is.

Oh your from sudbury!!? My grandparents have a summer house on lake winapetae (sp). Im up there almost every summer.

~Alex

dude i love your truck and I am actually doing the same engine in a 620 pickup here in a few months, lol. Only I have a custom tt kit I made for it so its gonna be kinda hairy, lol. I tell people all the time on nissanminis.com and nissancustoms.com to do this converison but theyre all about those silly little torqueless sr's. BTW did you have to relocate the turbo for clearance or did it all fit in there with the truck motor mounts? peace.

The turbo is in its stock location.I cut off the mount on the driverside of the truck, took the driverside 300zx mount and moved it up to the next set of holes on the block closest to the timing chain cover.took the passanger side 300zx mount, flipped it upside sown and welded it to the frame where it matched up with the driverside mount, and bolted the two together. The passanger side truck mount will work fine. The turbo will lay about a half of an inch from the frame. The wastegate will get in the way, so i just took mine off and relocated it on the driverside fenderwell. it works fine.

I took a a lot of pics, The pictures on my site work, you have to have macromedia flash installed to see them, if the video on the front page is working, then pictures on the pic page should be, However if you have a slow connection it may take a while to load. If you can't get them working on your machine, you can see the truck on the nissan minis website as well, there are more pics there.

http://www.nissanminis.org/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=37&g2_itemId=1457

that looks like alot of firewall bashing there! Did you need to do all that to get the rear crossover pipe to clear? I always wondered if that would clear or not, lol. Anyway, love the truck man and its good too see this engine getting the recognition it deserves. peace.