HybridZ

What rear setup to use?

Nismo280zEd

Ok... so there is a ton of information on rear ends and suspension and CV conversions, hubs, etc, etc, etc. So much information that i can't figure out the pros and cons from the others besides price and install difficulty.

At first i thought 280zx CV's would be perfect for my 280. Then i frowned upon the 3ball bearing design.

Then i found you can swap in toyota truck CV's just ahve to machine 4 brackets and you can bolt them in. Still a possibility... but one of the brackets has to be less than 1/4 thick... seems a little thin to me to hold lots of torq and hp.

So i started thinking... hmm i could swap an entire 240sx subframe use a shortnose r200 and the factory CV's... well... lookn' at some pics... looks like the 240sx CV's use the same 3 ball bearing as the 280zx CV's.

Ok so i'm thinking... might as well just do a R230 swap with basically the entire rear, but them i'm wondering if i want to go 5lug or not. Seems much easier to stay 4.

So at this point i'm stuck.. I have no idea what to do with the rear of my car. The stock r200 either needs a rebuild or a new one and the halshafts are toats.. 3rd set.

I'm rebuilding it to be a turbo car so i want to beef up the rearend while i'm replacing these components anways.

Please help... lost in a sea of information.

I guess i should mention i'd like to go LSD too.

300zxt shafts and MMS adapters definitely seem the simplest solution, dunno if it's too late to get in with the PowerBrute LSD group purchase.

For what it's worth the 240SX tripod joints are a touch larger than the 280ZX tripods, they seem to stand up to the abuse the 200SX guys give them over here with their 400bhp+ SR20 S14 cars.

Cheers,

Rob

Yep, I've got some out in the workshop. I had hoped they'd work with the MMS 280ZX adapters I've got, that's when I discovered they were bigger!

Of course I'm strictly speaking about S13 and S14 200SXs over here, but other than the engine it seems that our 200SX are the same as your 240SX.

Cheers,

Rob