HybridZ

Who uses this wastegate flange adapter?

jgkurz

Hi Folks,

I've seen this adapter suggested in several threads but nothing about how well it works.

Can those of you that have used this adapter provide some feedback on how it fit and if boost control was acceptable?

Any additional details would be greatly appreciated.

34_1.JPG

Thank you,

The consensus is that adapter would work very well. I was actually the one who made the original post on it. On the Z space is a huge limitation, so there is a chance this unit *might* not work as its probably 2.5"-3" long. It provides a good alternative for mounting solutions if you have a custom exhaust manifold.

Yasin

I actually bought one of those myself. The problem I see with it, though, is that the design of the wastegate hole does not allow manifold studs ( much longer than stock of course) to go all the way through to the other side. The bolt holes are threaded on both sides, not really an issue as a drill would solve that. I had actually considered trying to bolt it from the inside of the manifold, but that was sketchy at best. I think having it welded to the manifold would be the best option. It would work better In my opinion if the W/G hole was on the longer side ( bottom in our case) of the adapter. If anyone else has any ideas, lets hear it!!

John, if you would like, I can send you mine if you want to take a look at it first hand. I doubt I will be using it any time soon.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it. I'm going to a Garrett ball-bearing turbo which present two new problems. 1) how to fit the larger compressor housing on the OEM manifold and 2) how to install an external wastegate. My car is a 77 so I may have more room for an adapter.

BTW, I'm surprised we have not run into each other since we both live in the Portland area. Do you belong to NW Z or go to the Canby Datsun show?

I run an Innovative Turbo Pro-gate adapter similar to that, I had it welded to the stock manifold (it's cast iron also) as the adapter I run is a T-4 flange, I opened up the hole in the manifold as close as I could to T-4 sized, and I use a turbonetics racegate with a 1.5 inch "sceamer pipe" which is pretty appropriately named :cool:

the innovative adapter works great, zero issues with any spike or anything of that nature, although last time I looked at their web site I didn't see it listed any more?

I'll see if I can find a picture in the next day or so...

Thank you everyone for your responses. After looking at all the off the shelf options I think I'm going to make my own wastegate adapter that positions the turbo exactly where I want it. There are plenty of folks who make the T3 flanges and the 38mm wastegate flange so all I need to do is find steel tubing and weld it all up.

I've got the first one there John, it's a good solution, although I don't think it will fit with a tangential housing, my 60-1 T-4 is an on center housing... also believe it or not, there is enough room to hog out the stock T-3 hole in the manifold to T-4 size, although it takes a LLLOOOONNNGGG time with a die grinder and rotary cutter, porting cast iron is a real pain, :icon13: I'll take a picture of the manifold tomorrow, as it's off the car, preparing for my new, much meaner L motor! nearly finished!!!:cool: