HybridZ

rear brake conversion 280zxT

All the articles I've read on the rear disk conversion using the Maxima brakets seem to use the NA 280zx 82+ rear calipers.

When I pulled the Maxima brackets on Sat and the calipers from a 82 zx, the caliper mounting holes didn't line up w/ the bracket holes (caliper holes too close together. icon_confused.gif

). Needles to say I was bummed icon_mad.gif . Then I decided to pull the calipers off of a Turbo 280ZX. They fit perfectly. I grabbed the rotors too, just in case. The 'hat' part of the rotor was MUCH deeper than the NA ZX, so ???

I havent pulled my Z hubs apart yet, so I don't know if this is going to work, anyone know???

Thanks,

Tim

I will post Pictures tomorrow if necessary.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Tim240Z ]

Heh, that's funny, I had the opposite problem - I think. I got my heavy hand tools and went today to yank the caliper brackets from an '81 Maxima. The bracket holes were too close together (0.375"), so I left them there. I noticed the old Maxima calipers were the old style with the large frame. I've never pulled stub axles before, so instead of the Maxima stubs, I pulled the ZXT stubs with my 4' cheater. I ended up taking some later Maxima flat caliper brackets and caliper sliders - it looks like the sliders are shorter than the ZXT sliders, but not the 0.5" necessary to make the flat brackets work. What would be ideal now is to find some rotors with a shallow hat (less than the 1.5" of the '83 ZXT rotor) but I found nothing today.