HybridZ

How to hook up Z31 coil?

I'm getting some new plug wires in a couple of days from Ebay, and want to upgrade my coil as well. I was looking at the Z31 coil I bought and it doesn't have 2 wires to screw down like the stock 280Z coil. My question is, how do I hook this thing up so I can use it? Also, does anyone have any sort of mounting stuff for this coil? Being smaller and sorta square, it'll be difficult to get it installed when my car has provisions for cylinder shaped coils.

I guess I am not sure where you are having issues, I was able to hook up mine up in about 20minutes - mine is off a 1987 300Zx Turbo. It is extremely easy to install and mounting is much easier due to being physically smaller than the stock barrel coil - wiring is not hard either, just make sure it comes with some pigtail harness from the 300ZX or Maxima or head to the scrap yard.

I installed mine 6years ago! Wow...I'm old.

206667409.jpg

Yasin

Ooooh ok, mine didn't come with any of the mounts or wiring harness like yours did. No wonder I couldn't figure out how to hook it up. I figured I might be missing something. How exactly did you go about mounting yours? Did you just take the 300ZX coil mounting hardware, and just lay it on the stock 280Z one and put a couple screws in or something? I'm sure I can figure it out when I get the rest of the stuff, just thought I'd ask.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I am not sure where you are having issues, I was able to hook up mine up in about 20minutes - mine is off a 1987 300Zx Turbo. It is extremely easy to install and mounting is much easier due to being physically smaller than the stock barrel coil - wiring is not hard either, just make sure it comes with some pigtail harness from the 300ZX or Maxima or head to the scrap yard.

I installed mine 6years ago! Wow...I'm old.

206667409.jpg

Yasin

On a seperate note, where do each ends of the condenser wires lead to? (The black lead and blue lead right infront of the coil)

Yes, Steve Christensen formerly of nissan Motorsport informed me that the 300ZX coil is the hottest thing they made, and that it had voltage potential far in excess of most "expensive aftermarket pieces of junk"!

Mine INDEED shot blue-white sparks close to four inches when driven by an Aftermarket Perlux "Flamethrower" GM HEI module. Tell the BEST part about it, though: the spark was jumping to the PCV HOSE! Who knew it was "conductive"? Every spark that landed sent up a little poof of white smoke from the hose! Cooooooooooooooooool! LOL

The two connections are basically the blue wire and the brown wire. One is ground, the other is power and trigger. I forget which is which, but I can go out and look at my car in the morning and revisit this tomorrow. Basically the two screw terminals on the barrel coil just get transferred to the two spade terminals on the 300 Coil. No Great Shakes. Mine had all that crap on it when I got it, but I cut it all off and only used the connector that went to the coil itself. Offhand I want to say the "T" configuration of the connectors the "top bar" connector was "power" or "Positive on the Barrel Coil, and the "Upright" was "ground" or "Negative" on the Barrel Coil Connectors.