HybridZ

Light Duty Diesel Motors?

qwikrex

How about the Dodge 5.9-Liter HO Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine w/6-Speed Manual Transmission or 6.7-Liter Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine w6-Speed Manual Transmission? Just some more ideas. With the kind of #'s these put down it's like "yeah"!:shock:

How about the Dodge 5.9-Liter HO Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine w/6-Speed Manual Transmission or 6.7-Liter Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine w6-Speed Manual Transmission? Just some more ideas. With the kind of #'s these put down it's like "yeah"!:shock:

The motor is close to 1200lbs and those transmissions take forever to shift. They're meant for hauling, not for going fast.

I've seen over 700HP and 1500ft lbs of torque on a stock internal Cummins, but it would be way too heavy.

A better option would be a Duramax. More compact and lighter if I recall correctly.

The motor is close to 1200lbs and those transmissions take forever to shift. They're meant for hauling, not for going fast.

I've seen over 700HP and 1500ft lbs of torque on a stock internal Cummins, but it would be way too heavy.

A better option would be a Duramax. More compact and lighter if I recall correctly.

Also, if we're talking about fitting it into a z, besides the weight, the things are enormous. I considered putting a CRD Cummins in my Explorer, and even that is too small unless I modify the firewall, and possibly framerails.

It's been proven that these motors can perform though, and there are certainly transmissions which will shift plenty fast. Banks Engineering built the "Sidewinder" Dodge Dakota and proved this with impressive 1/4 mile times and a land speed record in a diesel powered pickup truck. It's all in the components you choose.

But, I maintain that the "big three" motors are too big to fit in a z comfortably, which is why I pretty much ruled them out.

Has anyone ever comtemplated building a L31 and putting the diesel head and intake and such on it to make a Diesel that would fit in the Z? Might be worth looking into. Or just leave it as a L28, that would be destroking it a lot though. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...