HybridZ

Light Duty Diesel Motors?

qwikrex

I've been craving building SOMETHING with a diesel in it, with some resonable performance for some time now.

I've noticed a few threads about diesel motors, and most people seem to abandon the idea pretty quickly.

It seems like a Volkswagen (VW) TDI motor, or a semi-modern Mercedes Benz (MBZ) would probably fit best. I've more-or-less dismissed the idea of a heavy duty truck engine, simply because of the weight involved, though they would be excellent power houses.

For the TDI's they're available in 1.6, 1.9, and 2.0 sizes. The 1.6 and 1.9 are identical for purposes of mounting, and transmission choices. As for the 2.0 it seems to be a different animal, though I can't get more information to verify that.

I'd prefer the 2.0L as it comes with 134 HP and 247 ft/lbs! I imagine that motor, would be probably every bit as quick as a stock 240 motor in a 240. Maybe a bit quicker. The 1.9 only makes 100HP and 177 ft/lbs.

The 1.6 and 1.9 have adapters that will attach them to either a suzuki samurai or toyota pickup 5speed trans.

There are also several MBZ diesels, though probably the oldest I'd like to install is the 3.0L turbo diesel usually found in the E300D's. These make 174HP and 244 ft/lbs. I know of no manual transmission that would mount to it, and a manual is my preference.

None of these are really super performance motors. I'd love to see over 200HP and 300 ft/lbs.

However, the great thing about diesel, is the power is available nearly instantly, and you could run the beasties on biodiesel, and get FAR better fuel economy than a gasoline motor.

So, this is just my little brain storming session.

Anyone else considered using a light duty diesel engine that produces reasonable power? Anyone have any other suggestions for this list?

or you could swap in a LD28 into a Z and put the turbo stuff from a 280zxt on it...instant datsun turbodiesel :-)

You know, this seems like a pretty sound idea. We know that the bottom ends are good for plenty of power, assuming that the diesel is build similarly to the non diesel, which I think is a safe assumption.

Curious about what kind of power you can squeeze out of an LD28 turbo. I can't seem to find much information out there.

are you wanting to swap this into a Z, or something else. A rabbit w/TDI and suspension could be a very fun car.

I'm considering it for a z swap. I realize the VW's with a TDI are pretty competent performers, but I'm thinking about putting one in the z, and upping the HP as much as is reasonable.

I think you could get a good 200hp if you went crazy on it...The head is cast iron so it would be pretty hard to do any porting.

A L6 turbodiesel has been done in a Z before and the car ran off of biodiesel. It could go a good 120mph is what the owner says. Unfortunately there are no under-hood pictures of it. Plus he was getting a good 35 or so mpg...He probably had around 140 horsepower but it was all low end :-) AutoX baby!!!

I think you could get a good 200hp if you went crazy on it...The head is cast iron so it would be pretty hard to do any porting.

A L6 turbodiesel has been done in a Z before and the car ran off of biodiesel. It could go a good 120mph is what the owner says. Unfortunately there are no under-hood pictures of it. Plus he was getting a good 35 or so mpg...He probably had around 140 horsepower but it was all low end :-) AutoX baby!!!

Yeah, I'm not trying to build a drag monster. Just a quick, daily driveable car that I can have fun with in the twisties.

• 2 months later...

back in the day of the vw rabbit diesel -i used to work on those things.when these things didnt run good it was all about remove the mechanical injection pump and the injectors and sending to a diesel injection shop for testing /repair.the diesel injection shops have test stands for the pumps and injectors -to check fuel output and spray pattern.the nissan ld28 is good old mechanical injection-so if you found 1 of these motors and checked compression ok sending out the pump and injectors would be my first step.then reinstall with new timing belt.if advance the pump timing slightly you get more power.or a little more fuel at higher rpms.a turbo would have to have some major pump adjustment for extra fuel output on the injection pump.as far as wiring-a car stereo is harder to wire than a diesel engine swap.if enough parts or a complete 810 was around for the swap it would be very easy.

One of the old Mercedes 300SD or 300D TurboDiesel 3 Liter motors would be a good way to go. I used to have two, now down to one. I would stay away from the 6cyl E300D motors, as they have aluminium heads and warp SUPER easily if they overheat. The 5cyl turbos are just fine if you put a manual boost controller on there. Those KKK turbos are supposed to be good for up to 40psi on a 3 liter engine. I had mine up to 11psi and it was quite quick in a 4800lb car. 11-12 psi is the most you want to do on a stock engine. If you use a metal head gasket and head studs, 14psi is about the top, if you re-inforce the intake manifold and use studs, 18-20. Intercooled, who knows!

You also can find a 4 speed for those engines, the ones from the older 220SE if I recall correctly will bolt up if you use the correct bell housing. For that engine though, I would stick with an automatic, as if you want to get a bunch of speed off the line you need to trans-break, even if you just do it using both feet. Plus, you can shift the automatics in those cars as if they were manuals, always controlling what gear you're in.

For engine swap purposes I'd stick with the VW or Nissan engines, as they're smaller but still make decent HP, just not quite as much torque. If you want to just buy a daily driver, the , 81-85 Mercedes 300SD (those are the most luxurious models) are serious tanks and quite nice to drive.

• 2 months later...

ok I don't have any experince with the LD28, I do have experince with nissan UD truck though.

I've found nissan to build a very stout/sound truck IMO

fun fact: in the hay day the international haverster company built scouts

they offered a diesel model, know what powered it... A UD... huh.....

If I wanted a diesel to be fast or at least quick...... much taller rear gears to make use of the torque and lower rev range.

possibly a sequencial turbo setup for boost in the niehberhood of 75 psia

much larger exhuast and of course a re calibrated injection pump.

maybe port the head to lower the egt's if it became a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Itialian diesels. NOT a good idea IMHO.

the italians never made a very stout engine (not a diesel I've seen anyway)

IVECO trucks were alright not power houses by any means fuel efficent yes but no where near powerful.

Jeep tried using italian and french diesels back in th eighties it only lasted 2 years I think that says something.

might try an isuzu 4 banger (its a big 4 holer)

those are something around 130 hp factory and turbo already. the injection pumps can be turned up quite a bit. Maybe some propane injection?

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking one of the audi turbodiesels. ive also toyed w/ the idea of destroking a cummings. ive wondered about making a TD out of the ld28 but never really looked into it. would the stock internals be able to handel upwards of 40-70psi?

Hey all,

Sorry for the long silence, and thanks for all the feedback!

With the exception of the Nissan LD, I'd considered just about every other swap!

I think ultimately what I'm going to do, is drop a Isuzu 5.2L 4Cyl into my daily driver (1999 Ford Explorer), and use the Ford smallblock that comes out in the Z.

Maybe down the road, if I really get the itch for a diesel Z, I'll put another Isuzu diesel into it as well.

The Isuzu diesels are just about exactly the size of a smallblock chevy, and the highest powered "stock" one makes 195 HP and 440 TQ. They're also available connected to either a 4spd auto, or a 6spd manual. I'd be concerned about putting one of these in a Z without seriously beefing up the rear differential though. :wink:

have you looked into any of nissans overseas offerings on small deisel engines? they have a YD25DDTi, its a 2.5L, DOHC direct injection turbo intercooled that makes 175rwhp stock and about 300tq. they also have a ZD30DDT, 3.0L 16 valve 4 cyl turbo intercooled that is rated at I think 150rwhp and about 250ish tq. they come in overseas versisons of Xterras and Frontiers.

Or perhaps a TD42Ti?

have you looked into any of nissans overseas offerings on small deisel engines? they have a YD25DDTi, its a 2.5L, DOHC direct injection turbo intercooled that makes 175rwhp stock and about 300tq. they also have a ZD30DDT, 3.0L 16 valve 4 cyl turbo intercooled that is rated at I think 150rwhp and about 250ish tq. they come in overseas versisons of Xterras and Frontiers.

Or perhaps a TD42Ti?

I'll have to admit I haven't looked into these much. I'd really prefer to find and use something that was actually used on the road here in the US, that way I can (hopefully) find parts, and experienced mechanics.

I feel confident that I could do the swap, and keep it running, but there is nothing more frustrating than having a question, or needing a part, and not having the resources at hand to handle it.

destroking a diesel would more than likely make an engine that didn't run, after they are compression ignition engines. deisels have long strokes for two reasons. make torque because that is what trucks demand. making gobs of torque at low revs, saves matiance, fuel, tec.

second reason to build compression.

i've never seen the internals on a ld28 so i can;t say for sure. but its not the boost pressure that kills its the amount of fuel being injected to use all that air. if nissan over built the ld as much any other motor they have made I would say triple stock output and as much air as needed to eliminate smoke.

though you might run into crank problems depending on how fast you turn it, keeping it under 4500 would be advisable. the vernable 5.9 is usually only pushed to 5000 in competion use, and that thing is build like a tank. literally I have one in my chevy and it weights an easy 1300, consider the small displacment to weight of engine ratio.

a heavy turck diesel like a cat c-12 or a cummins n14 is around 4000.

big cats are 5000 to 5500. but they also make 2200 lbs of torque at 1100 rpm.