HybridZ

dual intercooler

Nismo280zEd

so i saw a setup on TV where a compnay uses two intercoolers to lower there air intake temp instead of a massive huge FM. So i was thinking... would using two ZX intercoolers effectively provide say 50% more cooling..than one.. assuming the stock intercooler is like 40-50% extra so with two... thats an extra 100% for both... anybody agree or disagree?

I'm thinking of using two IC's on a dual carb set-up (one for each carb). I'm not boosting but will use CO2 to super-chill the air coming through the IC's. In addition, I'll use alcohol injection to further enhance cooling (only during N2O injection). I expect total cooling at WOT to be about 40-60 degrees!!

I've decided against the methanol injection because I've opted for a ZEX dual plate N2O system and the alcohol will dissolve the aluminum plates. The N2O will have a ton of cooling anyway... and I'll still use the dual intercoolers with cryo:wink:

What do you guys think about the idea of using an A/C compressor to chill intercooler(s). It's been done and, if one has an A/C anyway, I think it's worth the work. Think about it... no more refilling CO2 or N2O chiller bottles because it's an enclosed system. There's a thread discussing it now here on hybridz.

Guest magnadyne

I would be curious to know the difference between the power lost due to turning the A/C compressor and the power gained by chilling the intercooler.

Personally, I don't think you are going to see that big of an advantage. (I could be wrong)

The 2 intercooler thing won't give you any advantage over a single one of the same thickness and surface area of the 2 combined. Unless there is some sort of obstruction that will keep you from using one.

MAGNADYNE...

A/C power loss vs chilled I/C power gain... True but, if one has an A/C anyway, why not put it to a second good use? The compressor can be turned off at the moment of acceleration.

No advantage to dual I/Cs... True but I have dual quads.

Running cores in series will double the press drop and decrease delta T driving force on second core resulting in less heat transfer although same area. Of the three modes of heat transfer, conduction, convection and radiation, convection is main contributor for intercooling with the air to air films both in and outside the core the major resistances. These can be reduced by increasing flow speed up to a point and increasing temp difference. Increasing air velocity beyond so called turbulent flow or point of diminishing return will only serve to increase press drop. Increasing temp difference will increase heat transfer proportional to the log mean delta T temp diff. These are the physics.

Each application is unique, however and depending on air flow and turbo efficiency and where your engine falls on compressor map which affects I/C inlet temp. Also ambient air temp will determine point of diminishing returns. A smaller I/C may prove more beneficial for lower boost on smaller motor. A larger I/C may be better for top end high boost where the inlet temp is greater and the flow velocity increases to raise the Reynolds number to turbulent thereby reducing film coeff resistance. The larger I/C may be inefficient at low boost, however where delta T and flow velocity are lower through the larger flow area.