HybridZ

Local Machine Shop - Argh!

pete280z

WARNING: full on rant follows

So yesterday morning I took my struts and stub axles by a shop that advertised as having a "full service machine shop" to have the wheel bearings replaced. I brought all the bearings and oil seals required. All of my parts had recently been cleaned and painted and all the fasteners had been replaced. Then I left my phone number in case they had any problems or questions.

So I pick them up today. The first thing I noticed is that I'm going to be stripping and painting again. Second, the oil seals are totally fubared. Then the dimwit that installed them said that since he didn't know what kind of grease I wanted he installed everything dry and I could grease through the zerk. :confused: The bill for this handiwork was $100. :twak:

When I asked them to make it right I got a little bit of a runaround, but pretty quickly they agreed to correct it. At one point they said "we really prefer to get parts exactly how they came off the car so we know how they go back together." How they thought it was better to guess than to call is a little beyond me. When I offered to photocopy the FSM so they could know exactly what to do they got offended.

That press at Northern Tool does not look so expensive any more. Lesson learned.

The name is Brown's Automotive in Grapevine. Now that I've had a beer, I'm willing to let them make it right. The last thing I want to do is badmouth a whole shop because of one idiot employee.

I'm stopping by first thing in the morning to explain exactly what I want done.

Do you guys have any shops to recommend for next time?

Fortunately I'm 90% sure I've got two B's.

The new grease seals were there this morning, and were Nissan parts. Much nicer than the ones I got from AZC. If I don't get a good feeling when they're done today it's all coming apart when it gets back home anyway.

A side question: Are there any cars you guys know of that it is appropriate install new wheel bearings dry? Seems odd to me, but I haven't done this too many times.